More Toponymics

David Kiltz derdron at GMX.NET
Fri May 26 13:40:49 UTC 2006

On 24.05.2006, at 23:42, llama_nom wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Is 'pairu' an alternate reading of the gloss to 2Cor 12:7?  Wright
> has 'gairu' for that, but according to the 1956 edition of Braune's
> Gotische Grammatik (revised by Karl Helm), 'gairu' was an earlier
> reading for 'qairu'.  It's a pity there isn't an online facsimile of
> the epistles yet.

Yes, it is indeed (..., atgibana ist mis hnuthô (paíru A) leika
meinamma,...). I was aware of the various readings but had already
sent the post when it occured to me that it should have been
accompanied by a small note. Sorry. The reading _paíru_ was proposed
by Ebbinghaus in GL (General Linguistics) 19 (1979), p. 188ff. It
figures in Braune/ Ebbinghause's 1981 edition of the 'Gotische
Grammatik' where it's taken to be an assured reading (with reference
to earlier ones, of course). It's still present and presented as an
assured reading in the 20. edition of the 'Gotische Grammatik' (2004)
edited by Frank Heidermanns. Magnús Snaedal also has it in his 1998
Compendium. The ealier reading _gairu_ goes back to Castiglione and
Uppström, the reading _qairu_ was Braun's. The latter is supported by
Streitberg in IF 24 (1909). I wanted to check Ebbinghauses
contribution in GL 19 but unfortunately our university library, in
all its glory, only has volumes1984+. So, I gotta get it elsewhere.
Maybe you can check it. It'd be interesting to know how Ebbinghaus
arrived at his reading. According to Streitberg's IF essay, we're
apparently dealing with mere traces of ink.
Streitberg spoke in favour of _qairu_ because it can nicely be
combined with IE. *_gweru_, cf. Lat. _veru_ n. 'Speer, Spieß' [spear,
skewer], Umbrian _berva_ 'uerua, Cymr., Corn., Bret. _ber_, OIR. _bi
(u)r_ idem. See Pokorny IEW p. 479.

David Kiltz

http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/wWMplB/TM