Words of Gothic origin of common use in Spanish

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Sat Nov 18 22:07:42 UTC 2006

Hailai!

Michael wrote:

> Gothic bandi is a plausible source and its derivatives might have
> replaced Gothic sarwa and hansa.

The meaning "gang" must really have come from Gothic, perhaps in a
way like this: "token", "symbol" -> "banner" (word of the same
origin) -> "army unit under one banner" -> "group of people". Not
quite clear whether the semantic shift, or some of its stages, had
already occurred in Gothic when it was still spoken or it happened
later in early Romance. Probably Gothic bandwo went not further
than "banner". Another question is whether Spain or Italy was the
birth soil of this lexeme.

> Sp. escarnecer "mock, laugh at". According to the DRAE, "From
> escarnir, and this possibly from Go. *skaírnjan; cf. OHG skërnôn,
> mock".

This looks probable. But as the word seems to be a common Romance
Germanicism (cf. OFr. escharnir), it's difficult to be sure about
the exact source language.

> Sp. espía "spy". DRAE: "From Go. *spaíha".
> Sp. espuela "spur". DRAE: "From OSp. espuera, and this from Go.
> *spaúra; cf. ON. spori, OHG sporo).

The same is valid here and in a number of cases below.

> Sp. galardón "reward, prize". DRAE: "From gualardón, and this from
> Gc. *wĭthralaun, reward; cf. ODu. witherlôn".
> Here the dictionary terms as "Germanic" what seems like a compound
> of Gothic origin (Go. láun "pay, reward" is maybe related here, and
> maybe withra (prep.) + láun?).

*Wiþralaun sounds very likely.

> Sp. ganar "win". DRAE: "Possibly from Go. *ganan, covet, lust,
> influenced by the Gc. *waidanjan, reap, harvest; cf. ON. gana,
> avidly wish, Norse gana, stare with anxiety).
> In Wright I see wái-dedja, "woe-doer, malefactor, thief", and I
> can't help thinking that
> "thief", "to thieve" is related in meaning to "to lust, wish".
> Related to ganar are ganancia "gain" and gana "desire, appetite".
>
> Sp. guardar "keep, guard, watch over,save". DRAE: "(From Gc.
*warda,
> the act of search with the eyes, and this from *wardôn, pay
> attention; cf. OHG warta".
> From the same root come aguardar "wait for" and the noun guarda
> "guard" and guardia, also "guard". I find difficult not to relate
> Sp. guardia to Go. wardja, which pronunciation should be very
> similar (note the "i" sound in guardia).
>
> Sp. rapar "shave, crop hair" and also "take away suddenly something
> from someone". DRAE: "From Go. *hrapôn, to pull out the hair; cf.
> MHG raffen, Du. rapen, Eng. rap).
>
> Sp. rico "rich", riqueza "wealth, riches". DRAE: "From Go. reiks".
>
> Sp. tregua "truce". DRAE: "From Go. trĭggwa, treaty,
covenant".

Somewhere I read that in medieval Spain there was a concept
of "tregua Dei" meaning "temporal truce between Christian kingdoms
of the peninsula, so that they could stand united against the
Moors". I think in this case we can be sure of a Gothic origin since
the word clearly shows Gothic phonetic signs (tregua < triggwa,
with –ggw- after the Holtzmann's Law, not met in West Germanic)

> Sp. ufano "arrogant, conceited". DRAE: "Possibly from Go. ufjô,
> wealth, excess; cf. Prov. ufana, conceit, Cat. ufana, luxuriance,
> pride".
>
> Sp. yelmo "helmet". DRAE: "From Gc. *hĕlm; cf. OHG, OE hëlm".
> Same as above, this word is surely related to Go. hilms but maybe
> does not come directly from Gothic.

Ualarauans