Was the word "kunig/kunigas/kunigur" a gothic word?

urba_kestutis urba_kestutis at YAHOO.CO.UK
Sun Oct 1 10:24:51 UTC 2006

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Francisc Czobor" <fericzobor at ...>

(http://www.koeblergerhard.de/germanistischewoerterbuecher/gotischesw
(http://www.etymonline.com/index.php),
> both these sources reflecting the commonly accepted viewpoints.
>
> The Gothic word _kuni_ "clan, tribe, race, generation" is cognate
with
> other Germanic words like Old High German _chunni_, Old Norse
_kyn_,
> Old English _cyn_ > Modern English _kin_, the reconstructed Proto-
> Germanic (PG) form being *kunja-n, which comes from the Proto-Indo-
> European (PIE) root *g'en- (g' = palatal g) "to produce, to beget,
> be born", with the variants g'en@, g'ne:-, g'no:- etc. From the
same
> PIE root (and with the same Germanic sound shift, g' > k) are also
> Germanic words derived otherwise, like Old English _ge-cynd_ >
> English _kind_, _cynn_ "family", _cennan_ "beget, create", Old
Norse
> kundr "son", German _Kind_ "child", and the suffixes Gothic -
kunds,
> Old High German -kund.
> Outside Germanic, other Indo-European examples from the same root
are:
> - Latin: genus "race, stock, kind", gi-gne-re "to beget", gna-
sci "to
> be born", gens (Genitive: gentis) "race, clan", etc.
> - Old Irish: ro-genar "I was born"
> - Welsh: geni "to be born"
> - Greek: genos "race, kind", gonos "birth, offspring, stock", gi-
gne-
> sthai "to become, happen"
> - Lithuanian: gentis "kinsmen"
> - Sanskrit: janati "begets, bears", janah "race", jatah (from PIE
> *g'n-to-) "born"
> - Avestan: zi-zan-enti "they bear"
> Regarding the derivatin of "king" from "kin", I thing that there
is
> no doubt that this is the case, with the remark that the
derivation
> happened not in Modern English, but in PG: *kuni-(an) + *-ingaz =
> *kuningaz.
> I don't know what connection could be between Gothic _kuni_ and
> Lithuanian _kunas_ "body". In any case, the Gothic word for sure
> doesn't come from Lithuanian: it is a common Germanic word coming
> from PIE *g'en-, and the shift g' > k occured in Germanic, but not
in
> Baltic; in Lithuanian g' > "z^" ([zh], French "j") or sometimes >
g,
> like in the above example _gentis_, or in _gyvas_ "alive". Thus,
kuni
> and kunas are not even cognates at the Indo-European level.
> Only two alternatives remain:
> 1. chance resemblance, no connection;
> 2. Goth. kuni > Lith. kunas, but the meaning shift "clan, tribe"
> > "body" doesn't look very plausible.
>
> Francisc
>
> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "urba_kestutis" <urba_kestutis@>
> wrote:
> >
> > --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Michael Erwin <merwin@> wrote:
> > >
> > > I still think 'king' comes from 'kin' or  for the Gothic.
> > >
> > > Of course one C-Gmc root can yield two Gothic words, as with
mawi
> > and
> > > magatha, (or two English words, as with churn and quern, shirt
> > and
> > > skirt, ship and skiff, etc.) so that kindins and *kunig--
might
> > come
> > > from the same root. IIRC, mawi and magatha reflect changing
word-
> > > formation patterns within C-Gmc and Gothic, while shirt and
> skirt
> > > reflect internal borrowing among Germanic languages.
> > >

> > In lithuanian (neighbors of goths) there is the word kunas
> > (pronounciatin is like eng. koonus) with a meaning BODY and
> latvian
> > language has the simmilarity. So, Gothic 'kuni' is possibly
related
> > to  lithuanian kunas, because 'kuni' has the meaning from the
same
> > body, too but in prussian there is no koonas but kermenis. How
> > explain this puzzle?

Thanks Francis for very impressive linguistic information - was this
one Yours or based on some article -I can't find it for example at
Pokorny database. I've had the idea about 'kunig' origin
like 'kuni'+'ing' too, but tried to guess on historical bases and
used the idea about Greek hunter, but now I suppose that Your
explanation gave more strong base. But lots of questions still are
unclear. At historicall level it is possible now to discuss such
idea - 5000-3000 BC with agriculture (ide) spreading 'kuni' reached
German and Gothic lands, where later it was transformed
into  'kunig'. Possibly, 200-400 AD during Gothic invasion into
Europe the new style of ruling appeared together with King idea in
Baltic, Slavic and the other lands. But why in Rome there appeared
the rex but not king (rex is more millitar than king - I guess)? On
the other hand, the Greek cultural linguistic influence was much
more stronger than Gothic invasion into Europa and Greek hunter
could give some influencies too.  All these questions must be
considered Nostratic ideas too, supposing 'kn' and 'kng' to be
backbone, letting wovels to change someway. This gives the great
PUZZLE about the origin and chronology of dog - canis - hunter,
animal and man body - 'kunas' (lithuanian), 'kiaune' (lith) -marten;
tribe 'kuni' - hunting together or/and born from the same body; the
ruler of the tribe who was the best hunter for some time - Kunig-
king...  So, if we want to obtain clear understanding about
Gothic 'kunig' origin we must solve this semantic linguistic
historical problem. Chronological problems are most complicated and
some changes could reach and  appear at glacial or even preglacial
time!

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: