Tyringi and Tervingi

faltin2001 d.faltin at HISPEED.CH
Tue Oct 3 11:35:26 UTC 2006

I am still researching the Tyringi - Tervingi problem a bit. The name
derivation is still problematic. However, I found that the town of
Tyrna (Slovakia), which is called Tyrnau in German was called Ternava
in medieval sources. In this case Tyr- and Ter- would be equivalent,
which leaves the problem of -ingi and -vingi. Yet, I also found that
the Tyring gau (near Helmstedt), which does include the name Thuringia
was also called Derwingo in early medieval sources. The Anlaut D- is
low German (Saxon) for T(h)- so the name would have been Terwingo. If
Terwing-o was possible for Tyring-o and if Tyr- and Ter- are also
exchangeable than Tyring should be derivable from Terving.

Cheers,

Dirk

PS Some may ask why this is important. I think if it can be shown that
the name Tueringi is derived from Teruingi, this would suggest that
one group of Goths (possibly remnants of the Athanaric Terwingi)
succeeded in founding a kingdom outside the Roman empire after 375AD.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)