Tyringi and Tervingi

faltin2001 d.faltin at HISPEED.CH
Wed Oct 4 11:32:09 UTC 2006

> Now, you mentioned that Teruingi was also rendered with a theta,
> meaning it did reflect the pronunciation. Couldn't it otherwise be
> an imitation by a Greek of contemporary Latin spellings where th-
> was written for [t] just out of ornamental reasons? This Greek
could
> have never heard the name being actually spoken, and simply
followed
> the tradition of a correspondence between Latin -th- and Greek
theta.

> If I remember right, the mainstream opinion on the etymology of
> Teruingi connects it with PG *terwa- "tar". That is, it has
Germanic
> [t] in Anlaut, and this [t] is very unlikely to turn to [þ] later.
> There are as many as no examples of such a development. If we
fancy
> Go. *Tairwiggos [terwingôs] being adopted into a would-be High
> German dialect (lying below the Benrather Linie as you pointed
out),
> we must get something like *Zehringer.

Hi Ualarauans,

thanks for your expert assessments.

You are probably aware that your constructed *Zehringer corresponds
nicely to the town and region of Zehringen in modern Thuringia (near
Köthen). It would also match with the name of the ducal family of
the Zähringer/Zehringer who ruled in south-west Germany.

As for the Anlaut T- or Th-. You may well be right that the Greek
theta in Theruingi may just be a copying from Latin Theruingi. But
the same may the case for the Thuringi. The Latin sources normally
rendered Turingi, Tyringi and Toringi, especially the earliest
occurances of the name.

> Of course it is important, although difficulties can sometimes
> arise. Maybe it is worth while to make some of the "Goth-hunting"
> DNA-research in Thüringen as well?

Something of this sort has already been done. Researchers tested
oxygen isotopes in teeth from skeletons of the Niemberger group in
Thuringia and could confirm that some individuals tested did not
grow up in middle Germany, but are more likely to have spend their
childhood in south eastern Europe. The results therefore seemed to
confirmed the assessment of the archaeologists that this culture
derived from the Chernyakhovsk/Sintana-de-Mures culture which is
associated with the Terwingi. Thus, the archaeological and the
biological evidence clearly support the story of a migration of some
parts of the Tervingi (if that was there name) to the centre of the
later Thuringian kingdom. The question is really only if the names
are related as well.

Cheers,

Dirk

> Ualarauans