Tyringi and Tervingi

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Wed Oct 4 12:58:25 UTC 2006

Hi Dirk and others,

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <d.faltin@> wrote:

> > If I remember right, the mainstream opinion on the etymology of
> > Teruingi connects it with PG *terwa- "tar". That is, it has
Germanic
> > [t] in Anlaut, and this [t] is very unlikely to turn to [þ]
later.
> > There are as many as no examples of such a development. If we
fancy
> > Go. *Tairwiggos [terwingôs] being adopted into a would-be High
> > German dialect (lying below the Benrather Linie as you pointed
out),
> > we must get something like *Zehringer.
>
> <...>
> You are probably aware that your constructed *Zehringer corresponds
> nicely to the town and region of Zehringen in modern Thuringia
(near
> Köthen). It would also match with the name of the ducal family of
> the Zähringer/Zehringer who ruled in south-west Germany.

Did someone try to link this name with Gothic *Tairwiggos? It really
seems a perfect match, as far as phonetics is concerned. Still, it
can also prove a mere coincidence. Surely we could try and find
somewhere a toponym *Griessingen (< *Griutiggos, Greutungi) as well.
But in the light of the other data collected by you, the suggestion
of Teruingi-Zehringer settling down in what would become Thuringia
appears pretty probable.

What much is known of the origin of the Zähringer family? Whence
sprang their name? Don't we face an opportunity of disinterring some
kinsfolk of Balthi?

Ualarauans

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional