Tyringi and Tervingi

faltin2001 d.faltin at HISPEED.CH
Wed Oct 4 13:54:48 UTC 2006

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "ualarauans" <ualarauans at ...> wrote:

> Hi Dirk and others,
>
> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001" <d.faltin@> wrote:
> >
> > > If I remember right, the mainstream opinion on the etymology of
> > > Teruingi connects it with PG *terwa- "tar". That is, it has
> Germanic
> > > [t] in Anlaut, and this [t] is very unlikely to turn to [þ]
> later.
> > > There are as many as no examples of such a development. If we
> fancy
> > > Go. *Tairwiggos [terwingôs] being adopted into a would-be High
> > > German dialect (lying below the Benrather Linie as you pointed
> out),
> > > we must get something like *Zehringer.
> >
> > <...>
> > You are probably aware that your constructed *Zehringer
corresponds
> > nicely to the town and region of Zehringen in modern Thuringia
> (near
> > Köthen). It would also match with the name of the ducal family of
> > the Zähringer/Zehringer who ruled in south-west Germany.
>
> Did someone try to link this name with Gothic *Tairwiggos? It
really
> seems a perfect match, as far as phonetics is concerned. Still, it
> can also prove a mere coincidence. Surely we could try and find
> somewhere a toponym *Griessingen (< *Griutiggos, Greutungi) as
well.
> But in the light of the other data collected by you, the
suggestion
> of Teruingi-Zehringer settling down in what would become Thuringia
> appears pretty probable.
>
> What much is known of the origin of the Zähringer family? Whence
> sprang their name? Don't we face an opportunity of disinterring
some
> kinsfolk of Balthi?
>
> Ualarauans

Hi Ualarauans,

I don't think that the Zähringer dynasty or the town and region of
Zehringen have ever been linked to the Teruingi. The Zähringer took
their name from a castle Zähringen, which is not related to the town
and region of Zehringen near Köthen in Thuringia. Before the 10th
century the Zähringer were called Alaulfinger after a count
Alaulf/Halalolfus who lived around 700AD. The Zähringer are still
Markgraves of Baden today.

Should Gothic *Tairwiggos not have evolved into Zehrwinger rather
than Zehringer?

I think one problem with the name Thuringia could have arisen from
the fact that the name had basically fallen out of use in the
13th/14th century and that it was only revived in around 1800.

Cheers,

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: