Tyringi and Tervingi

faltin2001 d.faltin at HISPEED.CH
Wed Oct 4 14:44:26 UTC 2006

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, åÇÏÒÏ× ÷ÌÁÄÉÍÉÒ <vegorov at ...> wrote:

> *************************<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns
= "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

> Hi Dirk!
>
> I can add to Tyrna and Trnava also Veliko Tyrnovo in Bulgaria. The
last item is interesting from two points of view.

> First, the vowel _y_ has nothing common with _e_. Originally it
was either a hard counterpart of _i_ or its specific Slavic short
version.

> Second, the attribute "velik-" appears often as a Slavic
comprehension of an original "Welh" meaning "Celtic". In conjunction
with the fact that both Tyrna and Trnava are disposed on the
territory of historical Bohemia, I'd search the origins of the
toponyms in question in the Celtic language.

Hi Vladimir,

you will probably know that Velik-/veliki is Slavic and
means 'big/great'. It can indeed often be found in placenames, just
as its pendent maliki, which means small. Thus, Veliko Tyrnovo means
Great Tyrnovo (Velikaya Britannya is Great Britain) and I am quite
certaint that this has nothing to do with Welh-.

Cheers,

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: