Visigothic identity of Spain

Michael Erwin merwin at BTINTERNET.COM
Wed Oct 18 13:12:30 UTC 2006

They probably weren't Arians in the strict sense. There were several
'like' groups and two main 'unlike' groups, Arians and Aetians, and
the known Gothic connections are with compromise-builders like
Eusebius and with Aetians like Eunomius (as in the Procopian
conspiracy, 365, and the Halmyris incident, 385). We don't know
whether Wulfila was closer to the former or to the latter group, but
later events, like Gaina's revolt, and works, like the Skeireins,
suggest the latter.

IIRC, Euric's laws copy Theodosius' laws in condemning the Aetians/
Eunomians.

Anyway, all these traditions regarded the Son as divine and worthy of
worship. There was probably more group resemblance among Arianism,
Aetianism, Sabellianism, Athanasianism, Nestorianism, Monophysite
theology, etc. than between any one of these and any Muslim tradition.

On Oct 17, 2006, at 12:58 PM, PatrMcGin at aol.com wrote:

> The family tradition is probably correct. Several years ago I did
> fair amount
> of research on the whole topic of the Visigoths in Spain and the
> Muslim
> conquest. Most of the Visigoth nobles had to convert to Islam to
> keep their lands
> after the Conquest. The Visigoths were largely Arians any way and
> Islam was
> more consistent with Arianism than Catholicism with its idea of the
> Trinity.
>

> Patrick McGinnis

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional