Visigothic identity of Spain

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar at NORDGREN.SE
Fri Oct 20 11:52:13 UTC 2006

 Hi Tom!

You wrote:

> Actually, the Arian creed saw Jesus as a human and a Prophet, born
of the
> Virgin Mary and ascended into heaven after the resurection rather
than as
> a part of the Godhead; the view of Jesus in Islam is almost identical
> (some scholars think Muhammad may have been influenced by Arian-like
> Christians in Arabia)
>
> Tom MacMaster

I totally agree with you about the Arian original thinking. This is in
the time of Arius and soon afterwards, but still this is the basic
concept. The compromises in Nicea and Constantinople however explained
that Christ was the first created entity and had existed before
makind. Still he was regarded however as different from the Father.
Since we now call him Christ and not Jesus there lies the implication
that he was rather an incarnation of God  instead of actually
resurrected/reborn and so he returns to the basic condition as divined
righteous prophet. This does indeed lie close to Islam, and an Arian
might quite easily convert during such circumstances as in Spain. The
fact that Reccared and some leading nobles accepted Catholicism from
586 gradually and that the Catholic Toledo councils were raving lakeys
of the pope in persecution of Jews, resulting in the final defeat in
711, does not mean the general population of Goths had lost their
Arian roots even in 711. Hence it is not at all improbable that many
Goths converted into Islam then.

Best
Ingemar

<*> Your email settings: