Visigothic identity of Spain

faltin2001 d.faltin at HISPEED.CH
Fri Oct 20 14:49:57 UTC 2006

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Ingemar Nordgren" <ingemar at ...>
wrote:

>  Hi Tom!
>
> You wrote:
>
> > Actually, the Arian creed saw Jesus as a human and a Prophet,
born
> of the
> > Virgin Mary and ascended into heaven after the resurection rather
> than as
> > a part of the Godhead; the view of Jesus in Islam is almost
identical
> > (some scholars think Muhammad may have been influenced by Arian-
like
> > Christians in Arabia)
> >
> > Tom MacMaster
>
> I totally agree with you about the Arian original thinking. This
is in
> the time of Arius and soon afterwards, but still this is the basic
> concept. The compromises in Nicea and Constantinople however
explained
> that Christ was the first created entity and had existed before
> makind. Still he was regarded however as different from the Father.
> Since we now call him Christ and not Jesus there lies the
implication
> that he was rather an incarnation of God  instead of actually
> resurrected/reborn and so he returns to the basic condition as
divined
> righteous prophet. This does indeed lie close to Islam, and an
Arian
> might quite easily convert during such circumstances as in Spain.
The
> fact that Reccared and some leading nobles accepted Catholicism
from
> 586 gradually and that the Catholic Toledo councils were raving
lakeys
> of the pope in persecution of Jews,

Hi Ingemar,

you should know that already the Arian Visigoths had percecuted the
Jews and you should also know that Visigothic Spain had almost no
contact with the pope in Rome. There is a very good book on the
Visigothic church, which I have recommended to you earlier. The
author shows nicely that the contact between Rome and Toledo was so
spuradic that sometimes 10 to 20 years could pass without any letter
or any other communication exchanged betweeen the two.

I know you like to present the Goths in general as the good guys of
history, the righteous warriors of justice, tolerance and moral
superiority. Such a presentations streches like a red line through
everything you right about the Goths. Yet, this is just not the
right way to go about it. The Visigoths fled to Spain for good after
their terrible defeat by the Franks in 507, when many of them were
killed. The remnants created a feeble state, that was ruled by weak
and often cruel kings who ordered the percecution of other
minorities like the Jews. Only under Reccared did the state gain in
stability and some power, culminating in the driving out of the last
Byzantine bastions on Spanish soil in the early 7th century under
Sisebut and Swinthila.

>From the mid 7th century economic crises greately eroded the state
power. The various very cruel Visigothic king conduct regular
purches of the Visigothic nobility in which many are killed, often
with their entire families or flee to the Frankish kingdom. Towards
the end of the century, instability and paranoia are once again rife
in Visigothic Spain leading members of the royal clan to seek
alliances with the Moors in Africa, who finally cross over to
conquer a state that collapses at a blink of an eye.

Cheers,

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: