Visigothic identity of Spain

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Sat Oct 21 03:33:47 UTC 2006

Haila(i)!

Excuse my unprofessional intrusion, but I've got an impression that,
when discussing theological problems and, in particular,
distinctions between different religious groups, we are often
regarding them from the point of view most natural for nowadays but
quite alien for the time in question. For instance, we either say
that the difference between Catholic and Arian was so disappearingly
small that "no one except pedantic theologists did actually care",
or we assert that there could have been a situation then, after the
Islamic Conquest, some people could say: "Well, our once-believed
conception of Jesus seems closer to what Muhammad holds about him,
so it won't be a problem for our conscience if we convert and, in
passing, gain some social success". As though people in that time
chose their religion after a long logical deliberation, comparing
different views and their own intuitions, considering whether this
or that particular confession behaved politically correct towards
minorities and religious dissidents etc. If I remember right there
was an opinion uttered on this list that in those times the religion
was such an integral part of one's personal and collective identity
in a sense like we now regard our own body part – we may like it or
not aesthetically, but we are born with it and can't change it so
easily because of the change of circumstances. What were otherwise
reasons of most people taking part in the religiously motivated
wars? – they were certainly not high-philosophical reflections,
neither was the religious subject only a nice occasion for guys who
in fact don't care, to start killing each other just for fun.
Politicians may have had quite materialistic goals initiating such
conflicts, but in order to gain support of their subjects – common
people forming the army – they had to proclaim that, e.g. "our true
Christian brothers in Italy, people like you and me, are cruelly
suppressed and maltreated by these barbaric Arian infidels", and the
average Byzantine citizen felt deeply concerned – not because he
knew much of theology or had got a letter from an Italian friend
which confirmed the official version – but because he took the
foreign Catholics' trouble as his own, it was him who had been
attacked by aliens whatever these were, and now he had to fight
back, with sword if he was a young man, or paying an additional tax,
if too old to fight himself, so that the God-blessed Emperor could
hire some other Barbarians – the Huns, or the Langobards, or how
they are all called – and let them kill each other as much as
possible, ad maiorem Dei gloriam... You know, there was a very wide
spread view that the right religion was the main characteristic
feature of a human being. If you are infidel, if you give a wrong
answer to the question of "ut credis?", you are simply non-human,
you may be slain without me committing a mortal sin, and if you
resist defending your errors, your destruction is a task which God
demands me to do. That is, the main point was not theology as such,
but the conflict of group identities, the frontline between "us"
and "them".

When the author of Skeireins wrote: ni ibnon ak galeika sweritha
usgiban uns laiseith (5:7); ni ibnaleika frijathwa ak galeika thairh
thata ustaikneith (5:9), he (as a preacher) was probably aware of
the difference between ibna(leiks) and galeiks, and the present day
linguists may discuss the etymology, semantics and possible Greek
equivalents of the words. But it can be doubted that this was the
case with most Goths, or typologically, other groups as well. They
were simply said by authoritative people whom they trusted, that
confessing a "galeika frijathwa" is good and right and will bring
you to heaven, whereas "ibnaleika" is a terrible error inspired by
devil ("don't these evil Nicaean Romans adore devil in their
hearts?") and will surely make you land in hell after death,
whatever nice person you were in your life. And, what's important,
people in that time put much more value upon their fate post mortem,
than their earthly living. They would be ready to sacrifice their
lives, still more lives of other people, if that would guarantee
them a place in paradise. In short, they were much more religious,
and, in a sense, much more Christian, than we who are trying to
explain their motives proceeding from modern ideas of a secularized
religiosity and material advantage. Not that these motives were
quite irrelevant. We just have to take into our considerations the
probable amount of people eager to kill and die out of idealistic
reasons. We may say it's no sense to wage a bloody war because of
the three letters in ibna-/galeiks. But people could have had
another feel of sense in the middle of the 1st millennium CE.

Sorry for being too long again

Ualarauans

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional