Visigothic identity of Spain

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar at NORDGREN.SE
Sat Oct 21 10:56:13 UTC 2006

Hails Ualarauans,

Good points in many respects. Of course we must apply the thinking to
the actual time. Still, when you write e.g.

: "Well, our once-believed conception of Jesus seems closer to what
Muhammad holds about him, > so it won't be a problem for our
conscience if we convert and, in  passing, gain some social success".

Well, maybe not but still the social gains must have been vital for
many less religious and those with an Arian tradition that went
contrary to the leading Catholic families. They had more to gain than
to loose in converting.

As though people in that time
> chose their religion after a long logical deliberation, comparing
> different views and their own intuitions, considering whether this
> or that particular confession behaved politically correct towards
> minorities and religious dissidents etc.

In this case you must consider the Germanic tradition where all gods
were as accepted and could be used for different means. The Christian
varnish was presumably not so thick with the general Goth and the
tradition of respecting people confessing to other gods surely
remained as a cultural heritage. Before they took Arianism they as
well respected Christian non-Goths while the pre-christian fertility
cult for the Goths themselves rather was used as an ethnicity warranty
as was also Arianism BTW.This ethnicity however was lost when the
leading folks turned Catholics.

Best
Iggwimer

<*> Your email settings: