Visigothic identity of Spain

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Sun Oct 22 02:58:44 UTC 2006

Hails Iggwimer,

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Ingemar Nordgren" <ingemar at ...>
wrote:

> As though people in that time
> > chose their religion after a long logical deliberation, comparing
> > different views and their own intuitions, considering whether this
> > or that particular confession behaved politically correct towards
> > minorities and religious dissidents etc.
>
> In this case you must consider the Germanic tradition where all gods
> were as accepted and could be used for different means. The Christian
> varnish was presumably not so thick with the general Goth and the
> tradition of respecting people confessing to other gods surely
> remained as a cultural heritage. Before they took Arianism they as
> well respected Christian non-Goths while the pre-christian fertility
> cult for the Goths themselves rather was used as an ethnicity
warranty
> as was also Arianism BTW.This ethnicity however was lost when the
> leading folks turned Catholics.

Yes, what I was trying to say, rather disorderly, in my previous post
is that it was more a problem of collective identity, not theology,
which divided Arian and Catholic-Orthodox. When marching under Totila
to meet Narses' hordes in the field, our average Goth was probably
aware that the enemies had a different ("wrong") interpretation of
Christ's nature than himself. He must have been said by his priest
that he would fight for the right cause (standaiþ nu, ufgaurdanai
hupins izwarans sunjai jah gapaidodai brunjon garaihteins – Eph.
6:14), he had received his absolution and a promise of paradise if he
would fall in battle (didn't this idea correlate to the concept of
Walhalla?). But when meditating in his soul what it actually is – to
be Arian – he was hardly pondering all the arguments of the parties in
Nicaea, nor recalling polemic points of theological treatises which
deacon Gudilub did sometimes cite in their communal church. He was
much more likely thinking of his wife, a woman of Roman descent, of
their children, their house and a plot of arable land (haim-oþli)
given to his grandfather after Theodoric brought the people to Italy.
Of his parents and friends being Arian too, though firmly believing
that Xristus-Iggws resurrects on Easter making herbs and crops grow
again after winter death. In short, to be Arian meant for him to keep
the way of life he got used to. The invading Byzantine armies
threatened to destroy it. Maybe, they were bringing a higher culture
and a better administration, but these were felt as something "alien",
something "unnatural", still more loathsome because they were planted
through political intrigues and military violence.

This clash of cultures was apparently often comprehended within the
predominant religious world picture as a struggle between good and
evil. The enemy was utterly demonized. People behaved according to the
principle "right or wrong – my kin". And many of them did not regard
the terrestrial human life as the highest value. If we want to
understand and explain historical events of that time, we must not
only compare the contesting theological doctrines, but also the way
these doctrines could get reflected in the mass consciousness of their
bearers.

Ualarauans

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional