Visigothic identity of Spain

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Sun Oct 22 16:30:46 UTC 2006

Hails Iggwimer!

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Ingemar Nordgren <ingemar at ...>
wrote:

> <...>
>
> ualarauans wrote:
> > The impact of a liturgy in the native language was indeed
different
> > from one in Latin. Typologically, we probably may compare
historic
> > fortunes of Slavic nations – Orthodox and Catholic respectively –
> > figure out hypothetical chances for Goths - staying Arian or
> > converted to Catholicism - to survive and preserve their
ethnicity.

Thanks for your kind reply. I think I must disavow my statement
above of a parallel between the Goths and the later Slavs. Both the
Catholic and the Orthodox Slavic nations developed original
cultures, they kept their languages and ethnic identities, whereas
both Arian Ostrogoths and converted Catholic Visigoths must have
undergone a significant, if not a complete, Romanization before they
fell victims of a foreign conquest. The main factors were probably
their relatively small number, the attraction of the Roman high
culture etc, which were pointed out on this list before.

It would be interesting to speculate upon an alternative scenario...
What if the Ostrogoths would have succeeded beating off the
Byzantines and establishing a Gotho-Italian state with the Arian
church as an official confession ("creed of the kings"), preserving
the Theodoric-style climate of tolerance towards the Catholic
majority and other groups? The Arian doctrine attracting more and
more non-Gothic neophytes, would it spread the Gothic language
liturgy also upon them? In which case Gothic wouldn't have died so
soon. Maybe it wouldn't have died at all?

Ualarauans

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: