Visigothic identity of Spain

michelsauvant michelsauvant at YAHOO.FR
Tue Oct 24 01:24:42 UTC 2006

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "ualarauans" <ualarauans at ...> wrote:

This seems probable. I'm afraid to mistake, but I heard that Bosnian
> Muslims are in fact descendants of medieval Serbian Bogomils,
> another Manichaean-like group, which had been constantly
persecuted
> by both Catholic and Orthodox, until, when the Ottomans came, they
> gladly adopted Islam as the only acceptable alternative to the
> Christian denominations which had become quite odious in their
eyes
> after centuries of mutual hostility and bloodshed. Something
similar
> may have had place in Spain with Arian survivors, and I would
> sympathize with Tom MacMaster's idea of many Visigothic
descendants
> finding themselves south of the Christian-Islamic front in Spain.
> Still, Dirk is perhaps right when he says that most Visigoths were
> already Catholic to the time of king Rodrigo. As they probably
were
> highly Hispanicized too, it would be difficult to sort them out of
> the mass of other converts from Christianity to Islam. Family
> traditions can prove not always correct, taking into account the
> prestige of "hacerse de los Godos".
>
> > OTOH, in the 4th century, the religious divisions crosscut ethno-
> > cultural divisions. Really crosscut, with Suebian practitioners
of
> > Egyptian mystery cults...
>
> Ualarauans

Hello,

I red also that some cathars were refugied among the Bosnian,
because they were prosecuted in South of France (13th century).

I red also that catharism in South of France started from a
religious group living in Bulgaria around the 10th century.

I red also that the last parts of Visigothic kingdom still arian
during the 7th, 8 th century was the Septimanie and the country
around Barcelona. Even during muslim reign they was an arian
visigothic king in Septimania.
And the lords living there where often battle against the catholic
power in Toledo. N.B. The Catalans, since that time, followed these
tradition until now against Madrid, even if the religion is not the
cause of their opposition since centuries.

The heart of cathar country ( where the cathar castles are stil
there) is geographicly a part of the Visigothic Septimania.

During the 9th century, the emperor Carolus Magnus forced people
living there to become catholics. I assume that a part of them
became cathars because of the arian tradition to be opposed to Roma
(of course they were heretics for Roma).

My conclusion is the likely continuity between arian Visigothics,
and some bosnians Ancestors through cathar people, with a common
opposition to Roma.

Michel

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional