Visigothic identity of Spain

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Tue Oct 24 11:15:35 UTC 2006

Hi Michael,

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Michael Erwin <merwin at ...> wrote:

> Only one minor point: the Skeireins reads "... ni ibna nih
galeiks ..."

Yes, in 1:2, but have a look at 5:7 and 5:9. Let¡¯s see the context:

1:2 inuh ¬ðis qam gamains allaize nasjands, allaize frawaurhtins
afhrainjan, ni ibna nih galeiks unsarai garaihtein, ak silba
garaihtei wisands, ei, gasaljands sik faur uns hunsl jas-sau¬ð guda,
¬ðizos manasedais gawaurhtedi uslunein.

¡°therefore came the Savior common to all, to clear all of their
sins, neither equal (ibna) nor similar (galeiks) to our
righteousness, but being righteousness himself, so that through
surrendering himself for us as a sacrifice and an offering to God he
would create a redemption of the mankind¡±.

As I understand it, the author here doesn¡¯t deal with the
subordinative relations between distinct persons of the Trinity, but
he wants to say that the mankind did not deserve the self-sacrifice
of Christ, whose ¡°righteousness¡± was far greater than the human one.
So, his self-sacrifice was not caused by merits of mankind, but came
from the divine compassion. Probably, he uses the words ¡°equal¡±
and ¡°similar¡± because he was a theologist experienced in debates
with the Nicene, when these words were always used as antitheses and
formed a kind of antonymic cluster in rhetorics. Here, he who always
told that the Son is NOT equal, BUT only similar to the Father,
tries to emphasize that our human righteousness is EVEN not similar,
let alone equal, to the righteousness of Christ.

What we have of the chapter 5 left is all dedicated to the subject
of Father-Son relation. It culminates in 5:7-9:

7 skulum nu allai weis at swaleikai jah swa bairhtai insahtai guda
unbauranamma andsaljan sweri¬ða jah ainabaura sunau gudis gu¬ð wisan
anakunnan, ei¬ðan galaubjandans sweri¬ða ju hva¬ðaramme usgibaima bi
wair¬ðidai; unte ¬ðata qi¬ðano: ¡°ei allai sweraina sunu, swaswe swerand
attan¡±, ni ibnon ak galeika sweri¬ða usgiban uns laisei¬ð. 8 jah silba
nasjands bi siponjans bidjands du attin qa¬ð: ¡°ei frijos ins, swaswe
frijos mik¡±. 9 ni ibnaleika frija¬ðwa ak galeika ©­airh ©­ata
ustaiknei¬ð.

¡°Now having such and so clear explication we all should pay
reverence to unborn God and read that the one-begotten Son of God is
God [himself], wherefore believing that we pay proper reverence to
each of them [both]; because the said [passage] ¡°so that all would
honor the Son as much as (swaswe) they honor the Father¡± teaches us
to pay [the Son] NOT equal (ibnon), BUT similar (galeika) reverence.
And the Savior himself, when praying to the Father for the
disciples, said: ¡°...that you would love them as much as (swaswe)
you love me¡±. In saying so he points out NOT an equal (ibnaleika)
love, BUT a similar (galeika)¡±.

I¡¯m afraid my clumsy translation can in no way contribute to
the ¡°clear explication¡± of this very complicated matter (is there a
good English version on the web?), yet one is perhaps clear that the
author seems to derive his idea of ¡°not equal but similar¡± from the
comparative conjunction swaswe, literally ¡°so as¡±, in the NT text.
It¡¯s interesting to know whether this was a purely Gothic thought,
or borrowed from some Greek source. In the first case it would add
to our understanding of the semantics of the conjunction and
demonstrate that there was already a Gothic school of theology which
based its exegetic statements on the analysis of own language and
Bible translation.

Ualarauans

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional