Visigothic identity of Spain

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar at NORDGREN.SE
Tue Oct 24 13:57:24 UTC 2006

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "michelsauvant" <michelsauvant at ...>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I red also that some cathars were refugied among the Bosnian,
> because they were prosecuted in South of France (13th century).
>
> I red also that catharism in South of France started from a
> religious group living in Bulgaria around the 10th century.
>
> I red also that the last parts of Visigothic kingdom still arian
> during the 7th, 8 th century was the Septimanie and the country
> around Barcelona. Even during muslim reign they was an arian
> visigothic king in Septimania.
> And the lords living there where often battle against the catholic
> power in Toledo. N.B. The Catalans, since that time, followed these
> tradition until now against Madrid, even if the religion is not the
> cause of their opposition since centuries.
>
> The heart of cathar country ( where the cathar castles are stil
> there) is geographicly a part of the Visigothic Septimania.
>
> During the 9th century, the emperor Carolus Magnus forced people
> living there to become catholics. I assume that a part of them
> became cathars because of the arian tradition to be opposed to Roma
> (of course they were heretics for Roma).
>
> My conclusion is the likely continuity between arian Visigothics,
> and some bosnians Ancestors through cathar people, with a common
> opposition to Roma.
>
> Michel

Salut Michel!

Je suis très heureuse pour le verification de ma hypothèse!
I have all the time connected the  later Cathars and Albingenses with
an inbreed from former Arians. Specially the tolerance included is
mutual for them and Germanic Arianism.And, as you say, they were then
used to be regarded as heretics. I however did not know there was an
Arian king in Septimania that late, but it indeed explains a lot. It
also gives a new light on the debated Agots/Cagots which I have indeed
suspected to be Arian outcasts after the formal conversion of the
Visigothic realm into Catholicism. Your information strengthens this
hypothesis.

Salutations cordiales!
Ingemar

<*> Your email settings: