Visigothic identity of Spain

macmaster at RISEUP.NET macmaster at RISEUP.NET
Tue Oct 24 22:57:06 UTC 2006

Are there any contemporary sources that discuss these Septimanian Arians?
Also, didn't the Bosnian Bogomils give rise to the Cathars (hence their
'nicname' of Bulgar & the root of English "bugger"!) while those were
rooted in groups from eastern Anatolia?
I'm not sure one can trace a Gothic element in the Albigensians/Cathars
any more than one can in Huguenots or Jansenists!

Thanks,
Tom MacMaster

Ingemar Nordgren wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "michelsauvant" <michelsauvant at ...>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I red also that some cathars were refugied among the Bosnian,
>> because they were prosecuted in South of France (13th century).
>>
>> I red also that catharism in South of France started from a
>> religious group living in Bulgaria around the 10th century.
>>
>> I red also that the last parts of Visigothic kingdom still arian
>> during the 7th, 8 th century was the Septimanie and the country
>> around Barcelona. Even during muslim reign they was an arian
>> visigothic king in Septimania.
>> And the lords living there where often battle against the catholic
>> power in Toledo. N.B. The Catalans, since that time, followed these
>> tradition until now against Madrid, even if the religion is not the
>> cause of their opposition since centuries.
>>
>> The heart of cathar country ( where the cathar castles are stil
>> there) is geographicly a part of the Visigothic Septimania.
>>
>> During the 9th century, the emperor Carolus Magnus forced people
>> living there to become catholics. I assume that a part of them
>> became cathars because of the arian tradition to be opposed to Roma
>> (of course they were heretics for Roma).
>>
>> My conclusion is the likely continuity between arian Visigothics,
>> and some bosnians Ancestors through cathar people, with a common
>> opposition to Roma.
>>
>> Michel
>
> Salut Michel!
>
> Je suis très heureuse pour le verification de ma hypothèse!
> I have all the time connected the  later Cathars and Albingenses with
> an inbreed from former Arians. Specially the tolerance included is
> mutual for them and Germanic Arianism.And, as you say, they were then
> used to be regarded as heretics. I however did not know there was an
> Arian king in Septimania that late, but it indeed explains a lot. It
> also gives a new light on the debated Agots/Cagots which I have indeed
> suspected to be Arian outcasts after the formal conversion of the
> Visigothic realm into Catholicism. Your information strengthens this
> hypothesis.
>
> Salutations cordiales!
> Ingemar

<*> Your email settings: