Tribes in Ostrogothia: a re-run

daniel_lans daniel_lans at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 7 19:43:01 UTC 2006

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Oskar Andersson" <o.andersson at ...>
wrote:

> Hello listmembers,
>
> I would like to ask if someone knows about which other tribes were
living in Ostrogothic Italy still maintaining their identity. I
think Heather refers to Rugi as living indepedently with their
own "subleader" ever since they joined Theodoric in 487. This info
is from Procopius, btw.

> Any ideas on independent peoples within Theodoric's reign? I do
not ask for Romans, of course, but minor groupings... Any theories
or ideas?

> Thanks,
> Oskar

I have the same question as Oscar, and the last time Bittuguric Huns
were mentioned, but no other gens. So... in Theodoric's Regnum we
have people calling themselves Goths, Rugians, Bittugures, Romans
and what else?
Are there any Scirians left that we know of? Or other remnants of
Odoacer's army?
Groups of Gepidae, Heruli and Alamanni entered Theodoric's realm as
prisoners of war or refugees, but did they maintain their identities?

Thanks,
Daniel

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional