Tribes in Ostrogothia: a re-run

macmaster at RISEUP.NET macmaster at RISEUP.NET
Fri Sep 8 16:08:41 UTC 2006

I'm not sure if this helps but, IIRC, Theodoric resettled some Alemanni
groups in the Alps where their descendants still remain; the Schweitzer
Deutsch still speak an Allemanisch dialect.
These Alemanni though didn't play much of a role in the Gothic state or
its affairs.

Tom

daniel_lans wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Oskar Andersson" <o.andersson at ...>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hello listmembers,
>>
>> I would like to ask if someone knows about which other tribes were
> living in Ostrogothic Italy still maintaining their identity. I
> think Heather refers to Rugi as living indepedently with their
> own "subleader" ever since they joined Theodoric in 487. This info
> is from Procopius, btw.
>>
>> Any ideas on independent peoples within Theodoric's reign? I do
> not ask for Romans, of course, but minor groupings... Any theories
> or ideas?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Oskar

> I have the same question as Oscar, and the last time Bittuguric Huns
> were mentioned, but no other gens. So... in Theodoric's Regnum we
> have people calling themselves Goths, Rugians, Bittugures, Romans
> and what else?
> Are there any Scirians left that we know of? Or other remnants of
> Odoacer's army?
> Groups of Gepidae, Heruli and Alamanni entered Theodoric's realm as
> prisoners of war or refugees, but did they maintain their identities?
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional