Tribes in Ostrogothia: a re-run

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Mon Sep 11 07:51:13 UTC 2006

Oscar, there is a missunderstanding here:
The 6000 Langobards referred to by Baira are not those who under the
leadership of Alboin invaded Italy in 568, but some Langobardic
mercenaries who served in the Byzantine army in Italy in 552 (16
years earlier). Ahyhow, the migratory peoples counted at best some
hundreds of thousands of peoples, not millions.

Francisc

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, OSCAR HERRERA <duke.co at ...> wrote:

> i think baira might be wrong in her nimbers of the
lombards.......the romans feared the germanic groups and as well
acknowledged the fact that there was" millions of them "as one of
their technicians quoted......oscar

> Arthur Jones <arthurobin2002 at ...> wrote:          Hails alla,
>
> I believe to have read that, instead of fighting on the side of
Totila and the Ostrogoths at the battle of Busta Gallorum in 552 AD,
the Langobards were induced to leave the area entirely, not fight for
either side, and the Romans then gave the Langobards some estates in
the Balkans. This may, in fact, be one possible explanation for the
presence of the Sword of Pernik, made about 800 AD, and found near
Pernik, Bulgaria, ca. 30 km due West of Sophia. Its inscription reads,

> IHININIHUILPIDIHINIHUILPN
>
> Which, evidently, should be read as "Ih ini ni huil pid; Ih ini
huil pn"; or, out of the Langobardic --already showing signs of OHG
second sound shift, would mean, roughly, "I, within, await not the
hour; I, within, AM the hour."

> Rough sentiments for Langobards, no? Finally, Othmar (Audemer)
referred to the Langobards in his poem about the Busta Gallorum
battle of 552 AD, "Totila Rides the Djerid":

> "...Rome's deserters now have joined
> yet I see arses, horse and man;
> Langobards are going home.
> They fear to ride the Djerid."
>
> Aizamundareiks
>
> Arthur
> arthur.jones at ...
>
> Baira <baira_bear at ...> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, OSCAR HERRERA <duke.co@> wrote:
> >
> > what about the lombards who founded milan...oscar
> >

> Langobards/Lombards, from which Lombardy got its name, arrived in
> Italy only in 568, i.e. about 13 years after Byzantines destroyed
the
> Ostrogothic kingdom. Anyway in 552 6,000 Langobards (also with
groups
> of Heruli, Gepids and Huns)were part of the the Byzantine army
> fighting against the Goths. These were the first recorded
Langobards
> in Italy

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional