Want your suggestions

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Fri Sep 15 04:58:59 UTC 2006

Hi, Michael

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Michael Erwin <merwin at ...> wrote:

> In my understanding, statecraft is only part of politics. A polis
> might be a gawi; the people are the thiuda; the government is
> probably the reik-something; reikinassus looks okay there.

Couldn't gawi mean a particular province or whatever administrative
district, such as a state of the U.S.A., a department of France, a
bundesland of Germany, a wojwodstwo of Poland etc. For example,
Waurtislawi ist haubidabaurgs this Siliggiskins gaujis "Wroclaw is
the capital city of the Silesian province"?

Didn't thiuda mean also a territory inhabited by a people?
Gutthiuda – a Gothic country, not only a Gothic people, right?

> A ruler is, of course, reiks (in monarchies this would mainly
denote
> the monarch; in other places, this could easily denote any
politician
> or lobbyist, while connoting either ambition or corruption); an
> advisor is, in Wright, ragineis (including P.M., cabinet, and legal
> counsel?); an official is, of course, andbahts (excepting cabinet
> officials). Of course we still need words to distinguish cabinet
from
> legislature from courts.

A "minister" could probably be ragineis, for raginon means both "to
advice" and "to govern", especially "to govern a province" (cf. Luc.
2:2 wisandin kindina Swriais = raginondin Saurim). Hence could be
derived "to manage a government department". Then kindins is
a "governor". "Prime minister" - sa fruma ragineis or *raginafaths
M.-i (gen. –fadis)?

> A popular leader might be thiudans, especially if he is shaping
> politics and he is not a politician, e.g. MLK. But thiudans might
> mean something else, and something else might mean this. Any other
> suggestions?

A "president" of a republic could probably be the attested
faurstasseis M.-ja or a calqued *faursitands M.-nd, as distinguished
from "monarch" (thiudans) or "dictator" (*ainareiks?). "Head of a
state" irrespective of the government form - *reikiwaldands M.-nd
(after garda-waldands)?

> We might also want words for degrees of federation or alliance.

I suggested *lithureiki for "federative republic". Maybe, trausti
could be used for "alliance" or "federation"? *Thiudatrausti – "an
alliance of several ethnic territories (thiudos)"?

> >> 3) Relation, (german verhältniss).
> >> E.g. In the sentence: They have destroyed all the patriarchal
and
> >> idyllic relations.
> >
> > *gaha:hi N.-ja? Though it's more to German Zusammenhang (cf. the
> > attested adverb gahahjo which Streitberg translates as "im
> > Zusammenhang". Or maybe one could use gawiss
> > F.-i "Verbindung", "Band" (ibidem) in an abstract sense.
> > "Gaterun allos audagos gawissins thozei thai airizans anafulhun".
>
> I have no idea what the example sentence means.

I tried to translate "idyllic" with audags and "patriarchal" with a
description lit. "[relations] which those before have handed down to
us". Maybe it would be better to say thozei ATTANS anafulhun, to
stress they were "PATRI-archal". But I have no idea what the context
is.

Another place I'd like to correct is the example with "nimbus". It
should have been: gasatei jah jainamma wipja tho liuhadeinon, unte
weiha ist. Weiha is of course a weak noun masculine here.

Ualarauans

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: