Want your suggestions

Fredrik gadrauhts at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 18 11:20:04 UTC 2006

> The "light of glory" is good! Moreover that AFAIK wulthus is used
> mostly in the religious sense in the Gothic Bible. Could it also be
> *wulthuwaips M.-i (?) or *wulthuwipja F.-jo "corona gloriae" if
> specifically referring to the disc of light surrounding heads of
> saints, so that the both elements alliterate; or, descriptively,
> liuhadeina wipja as a more "technical" term (cf. thaurneina wipja
> Mc. 15:17)? When you being a Gothic neophyte trying to paint some
> images on a wall in a new-erected/restored church in Gothia Minor,
> you may be told by your tutor (probably a Byzantine captive):
> gasatei jah jainamma wipja tho liuhadein, unte weiha ist. But when
> on a sermon they would probably say: insaihvaith du wulthuwipjom
> weihane gudis, thozei skeinand in andwairthja manne...

It could be good to have a special word if we mean the disc as you
say. What I ment was more like a light around a person, maybe smth
like the new age people believes in.

> > Here's what I need you to help me with:
> >
> > 1) Politics, political, politician.
>
> Nice occasion to start thinking what the politics actually is :)
> a) science or art of governing a state. If "state" be reiki (it
also
> can imply "state power" I guess), then it could be a compound with
> reiki- or a couple of words. I'd suggest *reikileisei F.-n as an
> abstract noun (lit. "knowledge of rule", like
lubjaleisei "knowledge
> of herbs" > "witchcraft"). "Political" being then *reikileis,
> and "politician" – substantivized *reikileis, sa *reikileisa (just
> like lubjaleisai pl. translating Greek noun GOHTES in 2. Tim 3:13).
> b) political affairs, i.e. debates, elections etc – no idea at the
> moment.
> c) political principles - muneis (pl.) bi *reikinassu? *reikinassus
> M.-u would probably come close to what we mean with "state policy",
> i.e. "way of those at power to act in internal or external
affairs",
> for instance, sa innuma reikinassus N-landis ist manamildeis. The
> verb reikinon attested as "to rule over smb./smth" could probably
be
> used for "to execute political power". "Politician" as "statesman" –

> maybe *reikinonds M.-nd or something like?

> *silbaraginonds is good in that meaning. If we describe a country
> dependent on another country, could we invent smth like
> *skattagibands or *gildagibands, lit. "paying money", "tributary"
> (cf ON skattkonungr, a king dependent on another king and paying
him
> tribute (skattr)). I know "tributary" didn't necessarily connote a
> political dependence as we understand it today, but the word could
> acquire more abstract semantics with time. For instance, both the
> Eastern and the Western Empires were *skattagibandona to Attila,
but
> they weren't in fact politically dependent on the Hunnish tribal
> union, but only forced to pay them. But for nowadays, we could
> probably say: Fawaim menothum uslithanaim warth Swartafairguni
reiki
> unskattagibando "a couple of months ago Montenegro became an
> independent state".
>
> To emphasize that a country has liberated itself of a dependence
> which was very hard to bear, one could probably use *jukalaus as
> opposed to *ufjukeis -ja "subjugated" (after ufaitheis)

Your suggestions are good if we talk about an independent state (as I
did). But if we want words for the verb to depend.
E.g. in mathematics y depends on x in a function.

> > 3) Relation, (german verhältniss).
> > E.g. In the sentence: They have destroyed all the patriarchal and
> > idyllic relations.
>
> *gaha:hi N.-ja? Though it's more to German Zusammenhang (cf. the
> attested adverb gahahjo which Streitberg translates as "im
> Zusammenhang". Or maybe one could use gawiss
> F.-i "Verbindung", "Band" (ibidem) in an abstract sense.
> "Gaterun allos audagos gawissins thozei thai airizans anafulhun".

I like this to, so I'm gonna use it.
Maybe we don't need a special word for 'idyll' and 'idyllic' but
instead use a word with similar meaning as you did.
I like to be very correct when translating so I tried to invent words
for idyll and patriarchat, and the adjectives to them.
Idyll = frithuhlasei (cf. icel. friðsæll)
patriarchate = fadruwaldufni.

> > 5) Admire.
> > E.g. In the sentence: The two towers, which they so much admire.
>
> sildaleikjan? Jaina twa kelikna ana thaimei (bi thoei, [in] thize)
> sildaleikjand swa abraba

I thought of this word but wasnt sure. But now I am.

> > 6) Complement, (german ergänzung)
>
> *biauk N.-a (bi-aukan "to add")?
>
> > 7) Instrument, (not necessarly a musical instrument).
> > Here I mean e.g. a instrument of production.
>
> Maybe, *saru N.-wa, pl. sarwa, attested as "weapons", but cf. OE
> searo "device", "design", "arms", "equipment".

Couldn't this be misstaken for weapon gear in a sentence?
Are your sure it's a wa-stem? Could be like sarw and a-st.??

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)