Was the word "kunig/kunigas/kunigur" a gothic word?

michelsauvant michelsauvant at YAHOO.FR
Sun Sep 17 22:45:49 UTC 2006

Hi Ingemar

Many Thanks for your fast answers and your 2 messages.

1. If  I understand you well, you support my assumption :
- If I consider that Canigo is a normal mutation after 460 years
(around 415-875) of the name  "Kunig hauh" or "Kunighauh" (or
something with a spelling not very far from Kunig), you have some
reasons to think that this expression was a possible gothic
expression used by Visigoths around 415.
- And for you the meaning is "King's height", and never "noble
height",

2. I found that the last Þiuðans, you mentioned in your mail, was
Ermanarich, dead in 370.
So, if I understand well,  a king like Alaric, living after this
date, was named "rex" (written reiks in reconstituted gothic) only
by Romans; and he could have been "kunig" (or something near this
word) in the normal gothic vocabulary . But you are not sure that
this word "kunig" was used at that time.
Note:  Alaric married himself in Narbonna (year 412). Narbonne is at
70 kms North of Canigo. And we can see the Canigo from the hills
around Narbonna. And the Visigoths arriving directly on boats at
Collioure (Cautioliberis at that time) could see from the sea and
from the port the magnificent landscape with the Canigo in the
middle. The same I can see from my house near Collioure.

3. You presented me two other words "kindins" and "kinsman". For me
they can't have a relation with the name Canigo. Are they gothic or
later words for "kuni
"

4.  I think suddenly that "Canigo" could be a mutation of the
expression "Kuni hauh". The guttural first "h" could have been mute
in a "g" after 460 years. In this case the meaning of Canigo would
be "Height of (our) kin". Do you think  it's  a name for a
mountain!!

5. Your answer shows me that some gothic words are not in the gothic
glossaries I was able to read on the web (vocabulary coming from the
Bible translated around year 350, before the end of  Þiuðans reign).
Do you know a more completed gothic glossary we can read on the web,
with all the words you presented me?

Salut mon ami!
Michel

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Ingemar Nordgren" <ingemar at ...>
wrote:

> Hi Michel,
>
> I forgot to answer specifically on a direct question in your mail.
>
> > This name could have been given by Goths as  "Kunighauh" .
> > But what could be the exact meaning ?
>

> The exact translation of this above gives indeed sense. In Swedish
it
> says 'Kungshögen'or in more correct older
form 'konungshögen´, 'the
> king's howe' or 'the royal howe, mound, barrow'. In a broder sense
> this could be transformed to the application on natural hills or
peaks
> as 'the king's height´' the royal height'I presume. In any
case the
> name gives real sense.
>
> Salut mon ami!
> Ingemar