Was the word "kunig/kunigas/kunigur" a gothic word?

michelsauvant michelsauvant at YAHOO.FR
Mon Sep 18 09:16:03 UTC 2006

Hi,
Many Thanks,
After your 1st mail, I can explain the mutation from your "Kunigga"
to "Canigo" after more than 4 centuries and at that time in
visigothic Septimania.
I will read your other mails and made a more complete answer
tomorrow.
Best Regards
Michel

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "ualarauans" <ualarauans at ...> wrote:

> Hi Michel and Ingemar
>
> The Gothic form of the word is reconstructed as *kuniggs (read
> [kunings] in the Wulfilan-style orthography). Of its existence in
> Gothic we may probably conclude from a series of loanwords into
East-
> European languages. Here we have Finnish and Estonian kuningas
> "king", which preserve best the Proto-Germanic sound shape
> (*kuningaz, but perhaps an earlier Gothic form could be *kuningas
as
> well), then Lithuanian kunigas and Lettish kungs "lord", "master",
> finally Old Church Slavonic kÚnędzÜ
[kunendzi] "king",then "prince",
> "duke" (as an aristocratic title). The Finns and the Balts could
> have borrowed it directly from the Northland, but in the case of
the
> Slavs we probably have to assume a Gothic contribution, because
> apparently they were the first speakers of a Germanic idiom whom
the
> Slavs contacted.
>
> The word reiks in the Bible translates Greek ARCWN, which
> conventionally corresponded to Latin dux in the bilingual practice
> of the late Empire, and we meet both rex and dux used with
reference
> to Germanic tribal chieftains ("kings") in contemporary sources.
Can
> it bear some weight for the topic? And, of course, reiks could
> easily acquire folk-etymological links to rex after the Goths
> entered the Roman domain, as Ingemar pointed out. But it was
hardly
> a "later invention by influence from the Roman realm". The word is
> usually considered as a Celtic loan into PG, several centuries
> before the start of the Gothic wars, maybe. And the Getica cannot
> tell us which particular Gothic king was named what in Gothic,
> because it was written in Latin and, whenever the author was
dealing
> with thiudans, *kuniggs or reiks, he had a little choice between
rex
> and dux, which is exactly what we see there.
>
> If we look into the Wulfila's translation, we may find out that
> reiks, when used adjectively, could have grades of comparison.
That
> is, a person could be more or less `reiks' as compared to others.
Mc
> 3:22 thamma reikistin unhulthono, for Greek TW ARCONTI TWN
> DAIMONIWN, literally "to the most `reiks' of demons". Similarly
Joh.
> 18:22 thamma reikistin gudjin, TW ARCIEREI. Could there be a
> Standard Gothic phrase like *thamma reikistin thiudana "to the
> most `reiks' of kings", used with reference to the Roman emperor,
> maybe, as distinguished from all the kings of the Barbarians? The
> Ostrogoths could have used it for Attila as well. At least we know
> from the Calendar that thiudans could be occasionally used
> for "emperor" (The 3rd of November, a day of Kustanteinus
thiudanis).

> As for possibility of deriving Canigo from *Kuniggahauhei (the
most
> plausible Gothic reconstruction, meaning "King's height" and
> pronounced [kuningahauhi:], with a Visigothic diphthong, I am
rather
> skeptical. You cannot explain (can you?) why it's [a] instead of
[u]
> or [o] in the first syllable, which [u] > [a] is quite an
impossible
> change for all I know. The suffix Gothic –igg- [ing] was adopted as
> -engo in Ibero-Romance, cf. Spanish abolengo, realengo (Rom. real
+
> Go. –ing-). Its form –ig- which we find in today's Koenig is
Middle
> or even Early New High German. In OHG times they still said
kuning,
> and there is no evidence to suggest the loss of the nasal in
Gothic.
> Being no expert in Romance philology I'd suggest our hypothetical
> *Kuniggahauhei becoming smth like Conengoya today. Couldn't Canigo
> be connected with Lat. canis "dog"?
>
> Ualarauans

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional