Was the word "kunig/kunigas/kunigur" a gothic word?

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Mon Sep 25 10:35:20 UTC 2006

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "michelsauvant" <michelsauvant at ...>
wrote:
> P.S.
> german "Kügel", or "core", or "copy", or "coat" or something else?

As far as I know, the Gothic pronounciation is not known with
exactitude (it is, after all, a dead language with only written
records), but most probably the ku- in *kuniggs was pronounced
phonetically [ku-], that is, unaspirated [k] + short [u] sound (i.e.
short English "oo" or French "ou"). Of course, this ku- syllable should
have borne the stress within the word *kuniggs.

Francisc

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: