Was the word "kunig/kunigas/kunigur" a gothic word?

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Mon Sep 25 17:05:35 UTC 2006

Hi Arthur

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Arthur Jones <arthurobin2002 at ...>
wrote:

>    I still favour Canigo as a slight corruption of Kuni-hauhs for
several small
> factors we haven't yet discussed:
>
>    1. Several place names in the Crimea that are Gothic in origin,
but were
> metabolized into Tatar, including "Gun-charna", now
pronounced "Hun-charna",
> which has no possible Slavic contaminants. It originated as Gothic
> "Kuni-qairnus", or "Tribal Mill" (see Wulfilan "asilu-qairnus",
or "donkey
> mill").
> It also has nothing to do with Hunnic ancestry, as the Huns fought
> continuously against Crimean Goths, but were unable to penetrate
or settle
> deeply into the Crimea (even if such had been their primary
intention!). The
> "qairnus" word appears elsewhere in Ukraine, Romania, Bulgaria
(Kvarna). It is
> an early version of Swedish "kvarna", English "churn", and other
Germanic
> _karne-_ derivatives such as "Karnemelk".

The IE-inherited Slavic word cognate to Go. qairnus is OCSl. zhriny
(Gen. zhrinuve) meaning the same. But if we suppose a borrowing of
Go. qairnus into Slavic (as a toponymic element) around the 4th ct.
and subject it to the phonetic changes which affected the proto-
Slavic afterwards (a very entertaining procedure, I must say), the
1st palatalization in this case, we most likely get something like
*chrinu (/ch/ like in "church", /ri/ is vocalic [r], /u/ is a
reduced one) masculine or *chrina feminine for Old Church Slavonic,
and that would formally coincide with the indigenous word
for "black" which yielded *chornyj M., *chorna F. respectively in
today's Ukrainian. I suppose there's a lot of placenames in the
Ukraine containing this element (Chornobyl', Russian Chernobyl'
among others). Theoretically, some of them could be folk-
etymologized qairnus-names left of the Ostrogoths, but that is of
course a pure speculation.

But the Slavs were relatively late to come into the Crimea. The
suggested development qairnus > -charna must have taken place in
some other language. This language must simplify [kw] > [k] and then
palatalize k > ch before [e], [i], this [e] getting opened to [a]
before affricates (???). Could Crimean Gothic bear either of these
features? Tatarian? Does Gun-/Hun-charna mean something in Turkic?

Ualarauans

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: