Was the word "kunig/kunigas/kunigur" a gothic word?

michelsauvant michelsauvant at YAHOO.FR
Mon Sep 25 22:50:36 UTC 2006

Hi Francisc
Thank you.
I though this "u" was not pronounced like short english "oo".
Because of the greacian parent word "cyne" for "kuni",and the german
brother word "könig",I imagined it between french "eu" and
french "o".
If you are right, I think that "canigo" is not parent with "kuni
hauh" or "kuniggs hauh".
Michel

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Francisc Czobor" <fericzobor at ...>
wrote:

> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "michelsauvant" <michelsauvant@>
> wrote:
> > P.S.
or "cut", or
> > german "Kügel", or "core", or "copy", or "coat" or something
else?

> As far as I know, the Gothic pronounciation is not known with
> exactitude (it is, after all, a dead language with only written
> records), but most probably the ku- in *kuniggs was pronounced
> phonetically [ku-], that is, unaspirated [k] + short [u] sound
(i.e.
> short English "oo" or French "ou"). Of course, this ku- syllable
should
> have borne the stress within the word *kuniggs.
>
> Francisc

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: