Was the word "kunig/kunigas/kunigur" a gothic word?

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar at NORDGREN.SE
Mon Sep 25 23:44:39 UTC 2006

Hi Michel,

I think Francisc thinks on the German 'u' that indeed sounds so.
However we have the Scandinavian and Gutnisk 'u' that sounds in a way
that does not exist in neither English, French or German. It is nasal
and requires you stress the nose muscles and breath out directly from
the throat through the nose and have the tounge above the middle of
the mouth relatively close to the nostrils. It should be an open sound
and not the deep oo-sound in English and German. Not so high pitched
as French 'tu'but lower and longer but not so deep as 'oo'. That is
the way I say kuningas, kunigg and the 'u' shall be stressed. Sorry I
can give no linguistic specification.

Best
Ingemar

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "michelsauvant" <michelsauvant at ...>
wrote:

> Hi Francisc
> Thank you.
> I though this "u" was not pronounced like short english "oo".
> Because of the greacian parent word "cyne" for "kuni",and the german
> brother word "könig",I imagined it between french "eu" and
> french "o".
> If you are right, I think that "canigo" is not parent with "kuni
> hauh" or "kuniggs hauh".
> Michel

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional