Tribes, peoples and their leaders

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Mon Sep 25 11:48:03 UTC 2006

Wulthus in Hauhistjam, Iggwimer!!

Yet under that strong impression from just looking through your text
(which I'm going to study in detail tonight) I can say I've
discovered a real treasury of information on subjects which I deem
most intriguing and most exciting. Your book is definitely a must
for all interested in Germanic pre-Christian religion in its
correlation with the social structure and historical events. I'm
looking forward to find there answers to a lot of questions I've
got. So I'll better restrain from questioning you further here until
I'll have read the whole volume, OK? I truly hope you didn't have to
tip the fragment all over again, having it already in your computer,
did you? Which I'd never forgive to myself... Still, this is the
only and best way to show all stubborn doubters that the book is
really worth ordering. Thank you very much!

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Ingemar Nordgren" <ingemar at ...>
wrote:

> I must confess I am a little confused after all different
> interpretaions  of PGmc name forma.

Yes, I think I did overuse reconstructing PG forms, but still I have
not formed my final opinion which word meant what (and when),
considering all the numerous historical, social and religious
connotations... I just tried to imperfectly "PGermanize" suggestions
made by David and you adding some of my own ideas on the topic.
Which all naturally resulted in a mixture of sometimes incompatible
and misinterpreted versions, dreadful even to look upon. But I'm
sure we've got here members who would set me straight.

> I am as I wrote not a linguist.
> Still I feel that the opinion of Michael Erwin might have some
> relevans concerning the translating situation of Wulfila.
>
> In short I refer to fertility cult in connection with a sacral king
> who is responsible for the cult of the whole people. Odinistic -
i.e.
> the cults of Gaut and later Óðin-gaut - kings are primarily
> responsible for the cult of warriors and chieftains and represent
the
> God towards the warriors and members of schamanistic leagues.Of
course
> an Odinistic king also uses the means of the fertility cult and
> performs similar rites et c. as the former sacral king. He can
however
> not claim his power on being divine, but instead he acts as
pontifex
> maximus-the highest priest and claims ancestry from a god.A classic
> sacral king is the guarantor of the fertility of the ground on a
> divine basis and claims himself to be a reincarnated god. The
> Odinistic kings, as remarked, just claim to be ancestors of a God,
> i.e. heroes. The Swedish Inglings claimed to be divine, to be the
> reborn Frejr, but the later Skilfings just claimed ancestry from
Óðinn
> but kept as well Ingr in the form of Yngve-Frejr as grandson of
> Óðinn.I have treated this extensively in my book and I suggest you
> read closer there.
>
> Typical of a genuine fertility sacral king is that he is not
allowed
> to remain outside the realm and he has no real political power. If
it
> comes to war he leads the defense but all activities outside the
> borders must be carried out by his chieftains. If the tribe/people
> however is moving without a territory he gains total political and
> military control. That is the reason I consider the þiuðans to be a
> sacral king. This indeed excludes the necessity for appointing a
> special war leader.Another matter is that he is hereditary and not
> elected.
> The referred kings of the army still could be the *_xarjanaz_ or
> drauþins I presume.They are as well absolutely nessecary when the
> people lives within permanent borders of course.
>
> Maybe Getica calls Ermanaric a þiuðans just because Cassiodorus
meant
> he ruled a great area and fought the Huns, but we have no
information
> at all about a possible organisation of this claimed realm. Hence
nor
> do we know how many 'kinds' were involved but, as you suggest, the
> Greutungi sure must have been 'a kind' with that much people. Still
> there are other tribes/peoples mentioned at least marginally. Also
the
> Crimean Goths are of discussed origin and might as well be 'a
kind'.
> Wether they were within the same realm is as well discussed.

Of some relevance here could probably be the famous list of
peoples "conquered" by Ermanaricus (Getica 116-7), which opens with
words [habebat si quidem quos domuerat] golthescytha thiudos... I
hold most convincing the interpretation of this place as a corrupted
Gothic word *Skwtha-thiudos, i.e. "the peoples of Scythia" preceding
the enumeration of their names (compare Gut-thiuda, Sví-þjo:ð, Angel-
þeod etc). These subjugated (or, better to say, affiliated into the
Gothic federative multiethnic Empire) peoples were thus regarded
thiudos. Ermanaricus could be titled thiudans in the sense "ruler of
all the (Skwtha-) thiudos".

Ualarauans

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional