Tribes, peoples and their leaders

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Mon Sep 25 17:03:41 UTC 2006

Hi Michael

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Michael Erwin <merwin at ...> wrote:

> Koine Greek and Gothic political institutions aren't the same, so
> their political vocabulary shouldn't line up. Wulfila faced several
> problems, including 1:1 translation. He could line up the Gothic
> words with the Greek originals according to scale, according to
> nature, or some combination. I doubt Wulfila would describe Jesus
as
> a raider-king... which suggests nih thiudans nih frauja generally
> mean war-leaders.

Certainly frauja does not. Trying to reconstruct its pre-Christian
semantics I'd rather think it was an item in the sacral vocabulary
of the fertility cult which we discuss. It's not only ON Yngvi-Freyr
where this element was kept petrified while having long disappeared
from the current speech. Broader parallels may be drawn between
distant cultures that used the epithet "Lord" or the like towards
their particular divine personification of the natural fertility.
West-Semitic Adonis (Phoenician `adon "Lord"), Baal (Hebrew
ba'al "master"), Egyptian Osiris, invoked as nebi "my Lord", are
probably just a few examples. As the Germanic "Wanen-mythology"
including the Freyr-cult is sometimes regarded as pre-Indo-European
heritage, is it possible to assume some genetic links to the Middle-
East mythological data?

What about thiudans, so it could have referred specifically to
wartime leader long before Wulfila, indeed before the Goths
migrating south. In the time of the Bible translation thiudans was
meaning just "king". But even if some of the old semantics was still
connoted, it wouldn't have been a serious obstacle for Wulfila to
use it. Observations were made that, if we try to read the Gothic
Bible and other early Germanic versions ignoring everything we know
of Christianity but instead bearing in mind the pagan associations
of the words used to describe Jesus and his disciples, we'll get an
idea of a military commander surrounded by a troop of his bodyguards
rather than a teacher of love and mercy.

- ith Seimon Paitrus habands hairu, uslauk ina jah sloh this
auhumistins gudjins skalk jah afmaimait imma auso taihswo (Joh 18:10)

at which words all the bearded and fell-clad auditory shaking their
weapons shouted "Yeah!!!"

Ualarauans

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional