Was the word "kunig/kunigas/kunigur" a gothic word?

Michael Erwin merwin at BTINTERNET.COM
Wed Sep 27 04:29:20 UTC 2006

A few sketchy hypotheses; I'm not ready to argue for or against
these, but I'd like to know what others make of these.

(1) Got. 'reiks' doesn't come (directly) from Lat. 'rex.'

(2) Got. 'reiks' comes from Clt. 'rix.'

(3) Eng. 'king' doesn't come (at all) from Greek.

(4) Eng. 'king' comes from Eng. 'kin.'

(5) Got. 'kindins' comes from Got. 'kuni.'

(6) Got. '*kunig--' would come from Got. 'kuni' as well. (what should
the Gothic ending be?)

(7) Got. 'thiudans' comes from Got. 'thiuda.'

(8) The analogy kindins : kuni :: thiudans : thiuda is older and
meanings probably shifted.

(9) The analogy *kunigs : kuni :: thiudans : thiuda is younger and
probably holds.

(10) Both kindins and *kunigs derive from the same word using older
and newer word-formation rules. Because the vowels diverge in kindins
vs. kuni I assume kindins is older. Because *kunigs is attested in
the other Germanic languages it is still very old - probably Common-
Germanic. Alternatively, one of kindins and *kunigs might have been
borrowed from another Germanic language, or *kunigs might have been
unknown in Gothic.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: