Was the word "kunig/kunigas/kunigur" a gothic word?

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Wed Sep 27 08:38:01 UTC 2006

Only a small comment:

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Arthur Jones <arthurobin2002 at ...>
wrote:
>   Then, on page 135, Section L344, the example is given that seems
to fit our problem, " Got. qiwans "die lebendigen" -the living-
yields Old Persian
>   -chiva- (Old Church Slavonic -zhiv'-).

But the Gothic qiwans (nom. sg. qius) can not be the source of the
Old Persian and Old Church Slavonic words. In fact, all these come
from the same Indo-European word *gwi:wo-s "alive" (< root *gwei "to
live") that yielded also:
Sanskrit: ji:vah
Middle Persian: zhi:wak < OLd Persian ji:va-
Lithuanian: gyvas (y = long [i])
Greek: bios
Latin: vivus
etc.