Arain Christian influence on Islam

Michael Erwin merwin at BTINTERNET.COM
Sun Apr 1 03:39:00 UTC 2007

I think social factors, not purely theological ones, influenced the
rise of Islam in Egypt and in Spain too.

Basically, suppose we have two religions (in Egypt) and the first
(Chalcedonian Christianity) is the state religion and the second
(Monothelite Christianity) faces active persecution. A new power
overthrows the old one, and a new state religion (Islam) which
doesn't conduct as much persecution. Theologically, the different
Christian traditions are closer to each other than to Islam.
Socially, they inherit mutual hostility to each other but not to Islam.

Thus, in Egypt, Monothelite Christians, and Jews, who would never
consider converting to Chalcedonian Christianity might consider
converting to Islam.

Similarly, in Spain, for Wulfilan Christians, and Jews.

Similarly, in Gaul and Italy, the Gothic successor-kingdoms may have
seen conversion of 'outsider' Christians as well as Jews. I doubt the
Roman 'Arians' (not as numerous in the west as in the east) and
Gothic 'Arians' would have picked fights with each other in the fifth-
sixth centuries.

The motivations for theologically-inclined individuals might work
very differently than for the general population, with issues of
church doctrine and church practice playing much larger roles. Paul
of course converted from the school of Gamaliel to proto-
Christianity, and Tertullian converted from the 'main' church to
Montanism.