Arain Christian influence on Islam

Wolfgang Franz wolfgang.franz at VR-WEB.DE
Sun Apr 1 12:58:32 UTC 2007

Hi Ingemar!

Ingemar, with all respect, but you intermingle the trinitarian dogma with the
christological. The way in which the two natures of Christ combine, the human
and the divine, is the christological. This was solved when arianism had been
vanished already in the empire.

The council of Nikaia was not a "dubious meeting" but is the first ecumenical
council fundamental to the faith of all christian churches.

It's a pity for me that I have a compendium of Arius' views in German only,
written by Prof. Ziegenaus. But this example from wikipedia can possibly show
it as well:

"Arius formulated the following doctrines about Jesus:
that the Logos and the Father were not of the same essence (ousia);
That the Son was a created being (ktisma or poiema); and
that though He was the creator of the worlds, and must therefore have existed
before them and before all time, there was a "time" [although Arius refused
to use words meaning time, such as chronos or aion] when He did not exist."

"There was [a time] when God was alone, and was not yet Father, and afterward
he became Father. The Son was not always. For, all things coming into being
from not being, and all things created and made having begun to be, this
logos or God also came into being from things not existing; and there was [a
time] when he was not, and he was not before he was begotten, but he also had
a beginning of being created."

These are ideas which leaves doubt about the relevance of the question
discussed. The west and the goths possibly did not participate in the
struggle because it was much too theoretical for them. But without doubt
these are not the words of a man regarding the Christ as purely human and
adopted by god only because of his virtues. There is also no semblance to the
muslim view of Christ as prophet only.

You wrote: "He was born human and raised to divinity through a righteous life,
like a boddisathva or deva being given a divine status." Where did you find
that?

"The Father was in command of the Son and the Son was created." This is not
the content of the nikaian creed which is anyway only delivered to us via the
council of Constantinople 381.
The nicene creed specifically included the word homoousios (consubstantial).

That arianism had the upper hand afterwards had a lot to do with the emperor's
political necessities. As Arius stated that the father could create more sons
than one Christ could be seen as an imperial god contrary to an universal. In
fact the persians then could also have their own son. But it had nothing to
do with the church as a whole.

You miss the point of the christological debate also. In this the nestorians
(antiochene) emphasized the separation of His two natures while the
alexandrine emphasized their mix. The alexandrine didn't regard Christ as
solely divine.

"the Goths also send missionaries converting all the other Germanic
continental tribes of major importance to Arianism except the Franks". Which
tribes except the east germanic vandalians and burgundians? The suebians were
pagan when they entered the empire as were the alemanni and the saxons.

The egyptians welcomed the islamic invaders because as monophysites they were
suppressed by the roman authorities. Their conversion to islam was a event
which lasted for centuries and had, as in all islamic countries, more to do
with pressure than with faith.

When it goes to the question of the conversion to islam of the visigoths in
Spain the question must be asked if this was really the case. Didn't go a lot
of the goths to catalunia which was called "gothica" by the franks in the
time of Charlemagne where they set up successfull resistance to the muslims?
And for the visigoths staying in muslim Andalusia: Could it been more
important for them that as a warrior aristocracy they could remain warriors
only if converting to islam? Did the ordinary gothic nobleman really care so
much for the trinitarian and christological dogmas?

Best regards,

Wolfgang