Contemporary language.

Fredrik gadrauhts at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 10 07:28:16 UTC 2007

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Justïn <justinelf at ...> wrote:

> This is quite an impressive list, actually.  I do understand in a
few
> places where other Gothic revivalists might disagree with you,
> particularly in the zero - zairo choice, it seems Gothic might learn
> more towards German's "null" but I'm new to reconstruction myself,
so
> that with a grain of salt!

I agree with you that smth like null would be better.
This list is almost a year old and I will soon change it to a new
version with more words and some changes. One is tuga instead of
tauhja for train.

> I believe we need a definitive society like French's L'Acadamie
> Française to censor, standardise, and oversee the reconstruction of
> Gothic if it would ever be a language capable of everyday use, if
even
> a local standardisation used among the [relatively] few of us who
are
> interested in reviving the language.

I think so too. But why not give this group a function like that?

> Standardisation and vocabulary expansion are the two musts found in
> all language revival attempts, we are fortunate in that while we
have
> relatively few documents to work with, we do not have anywhere near
> the amount of quibbling over dialect that the Celtic revivalists are
> still going through with Cornish, Irish, etc.

A important thing is how to create new words. I think it would be
better if everyone who wanna make neologisms make them in the same
way.
Here's how I think about it.
Words which probably existed but is not attested I recunstruct from a
assumed protogermanic form. I think there is no attested word for
salmon and in pgmc it probably was *lahsaz, we can also assume gothic
had a word for salmon and then it wouldve been *lahs.
Other words which most probably did not exist, such as TV and
computer, I use icelandic and sometimes german as model.
Calques are also something I think could be useful.