Dietlieb

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Tue Apr 10 09:46:36 UTC 2007

German 'lieb' = Gothic 'liufs' "beloved, dear".  And yes, G 'diet' =
Go. 'þiuda' "people, nation".   Þetleifr (the Old Norse version of the
name, from Þiðreks saga) is borrowed along with the story from German,
as can be seen from the form 'þet', in place of the native 'þjóð'.
But the final part of the name has been replaced (whether by the
Norwegian translator or in the North German source material, I don't
know) with a roughly similar-sounding naming element: -leifr, related
to ON 'leifar', Go. 'laibos' "remnants, leavings", OE 'láf' "remnant,
remains; heirloom, legacy."

LN

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Michal Cigan <michalcigan at ...> wrote:

> Hi,
> im interested in etymology of the name of the hero
> of Dietrich/Thidrek cycle: Dietlieb/Thetleif  -  is there gothic
etymology (?thiud?), or "only" common germanic?