Contemporary language.

Justïn justinelf at JUNO.COM
Sun Apr 15 03:59:13 UTC 2007

I would think using the Gothic Script would be hindering the
technological advancement of the language...if Gothic is going to be
revived to a point wherein it could be used for e-mails, etc, then I
think we would almost certainly have to use the Roman
transliterations.  If whole webpages or newsgroups or periodicals are
going to be released in Gothic--as slow a process as that will surely
be--it would only impede it [ridiculously] more if we forced the issue
of the original script.

That said, if we did use the script we would need to more than just
create a font file.  Arabic, Hebrew, etc. are much more than just
fonts but whole, unicoded, programmed processes that take place
between computers, platforms, and OSs in different countries and as it
is we have a hard time being British or Arab and getting an English or
Arabic webpage to pull up on a computer without it being a bunch of
funny characters that mean nothing in either language.

All of this aside, we may be able to strike a compromise if someone
can create a Gothic Script font that will read "Þiudans" --typed just
as that, and convert it to the Gothic script.  The numeral and other
special characters can be assigned to random glyphs such as +, ~, etc.
 Such fonts may already be out there.  The finalised list could have
another column off to the side translated in that font for those who
have it installed on their systems, and we might all then be happy.

Criticisms, as always, greatly appreciated.