Some new words

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Mon Apr 16 17:45:00 UTC 2007

Hi,

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Fredrik" <gadrauhts at ...> wrote:

> biology: libainileisei (fem. i-st.)

Wouldn't it be wise to (re-)construct at once whole word families
rather than single words in cases like "biology" etc – what is
then "biologist" or "biological"? Afaik our only attestation of
–leis is lubjaleisai (pl.) which is an adjective glossing liutai in
2. Tim. 3:13 PONHROI DE ANQRWPOI KAI GOHTES iþ ubilai mannans jah
liutai. I wonder if it could correspond to Greek noun FARMAKOLOGOI.
But how are you to form a word for, say, "biologist"?
Substantivizing the adjective (i.e. lit. "a biological one")? And,
since –leis is not attested as an analogue of Greek –LOGOS resp.
–LOGIKOS, could it also be Go. –kunþi as a second element in names
of sciences, after German and Dutch –kunde? In which case "biology"
could be qiu-kunþi (not to form a compound with a –eins noun since
they are not known, and Go. qius etymologically = Greek
BIOS), "biologist" – qiu-kunþja M.–an, "biological" – qiu-kunþeigs
or qiu-kunþisks.

Another nice question is why we are so afraid of the so called
international terminology? Why not biaulaugia (after aiwlaugia
EULOGIA) and hence biaulaugista M.-an or biaulaugus M.-u (the latter
is more preferable I'd think) and biaulaugikeins (after pistikeins <
PISTIKOS) or biaulaugisks (after the modern pattern)?

> butterfly: feifaldro (fem. n-st.)

Yes, of course!

> dictator: ainaragineis (masc. ja-st.)
> dictatorship: ainaragini (neut. ja-st.)

Isn't it more to "monarchy" or "autocracy"? – cf. fidurragini for
TETRARCOUNTOS, actually for *TETRARCIA. What difference is there
between "dictator" and "autocrator" resp. "monarch" (sorry for a
stupid question)? Is the language expected to distinguish them in
some way?

> euphonious: drunjufagrs (adj.)

aiwfonus? A calque like waila-hliuþs (adj.)?

> fart: fairtan (sv. VI)

Seems one of the eldest IE verbs.

> geography: stadileisei (fem. n-st.)

gaiografia (gaiografus „geographer", gaiografikeins/-
grafisks „geographical")? Calqued airþa-meleins (airþa-meljands
cons. st., and what's the adjective?)?

> geology: airþaleisei (fem. n-st.)

gaiolaugia (gaiolaugus/-laugista, gaiolaugikeins/-laugisks).
Puristic airþa-kunþi (airþa-kunþja, airþa-kunþeigs) keeping the
convention of GAIA = airþa which is how it is attested.

> geometry: airþamela (masc. n-st.)

gaiomaitria or airþa-mitains (airþa-mitands cons. st., the adjective
is still a problem). METREW = mita.

> library: bokaheiþ (neut. a-st.)

What is -heiþ?

> linguistics: razdaleisei (fem. n-st.)

glossaulaugia (just for Greek fans :-). Maybe also razda-kunþi or
smth like tugga-fraþi?

> music: drunjulists (fem. i-st.)

Isn't lists attested for something bad?

> participate: dailaniman (sv. IV)
> participator: dailanimands (masc. nd-st.)

There's a verb fair-aihan METECEIN. Doesn't it fit the meaning? And,
why not to keep the elements apart: daila niman, in the verb? Like
arbi niman "to inherit", hunsla saljan "to worship" (lit. "to offer
sacrifices"). Since Gothic didn't separate words in writing it's
difficult (isn't it?) to say whether these semi-compounds (a wrong
term I guess) should be written apart or together in modern style
Latinized orthography. BTW nomen agentis could also be daila-numja
(after arbi-numja).

> philosopher: fairhvufroda (masc. n-st.)
> philosophy: fairhvufrodei (fem. n-st.)

filausaufia, liuba-frodei (liuba-froda M.-an, but the adjective is
definitely not liuba-froþs)

> policy: raginei (fem. n-st.)
> politician: ragineis (masc. ja-st.)
> politics (governing): ragini (neut. ja-st.)

If I remember right we discussed these matters a time ago, but I
don't remember our conclusions...

> psychology: saiwalaleisei (fem. n-st.)

pswxaulaugia (looks terrible I know). Or saiwala-kunþi.

About the names for grammatical cases. I recently read about
evolution of Latin grammar terms. Varro and others use casus dandi
for dative, casus nominandi for nominative, casus vocandi for
vocative etc alongside with –ivus formations. If we have problems
with forming first elements of namo etc, why don't we use a schema
like this:
namnjanda drus (or namnjanda-drus) for nominative;
fadreina-drus or fraihnanda-drus for genetive (cf. Latin casus
patrius or casus interrogandi);
gibanda-drus for dative;
wrohjanda-drus for accusative (an obvious calque);
haitanda-drus for vocative;
afbairanda-drus for ablative (would someone wish to discuss Latin
grammar in Gothic)...

To keep it quite simple, how about hvas-drus, hvis-drus, hvamma-drus
and hvana-drus? The vocative could then probably be o!-drus :-) And
no un-Gothic cases which is a pity.

Ualarauans