Niwa Waurda

thiudans thiudans at YAHOO.COM
Mon Apr 16 20:22:26 UTC 2007

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell at ...> wrote:

> > niwa waurda
>
> niuja waurda (cf. 2Cor 5:17 sai, waurþun niuja alla).
>
> > *usdammjan (1) "stop up, dam up, fill in (a gap)"
>
> Would the attested word 'faurdammjan' serve?

I see the word. I wonder if the new sense might be "fill in from
bottom to top" as when repairing masonry or any kind of structure. I
might have been looking at the greek prefix.

> > *muldigs (A) "dusty"
>
> I think there may be a tendency, not perfectly adhered to, to use the
> suffix -eig- after a long root, -ig- after a short stem.  Hope I've
> got that the right way round...

I don't remember exactly. I was assuming long stem = short suffix. The
example might be hairdeis vs. harjis < xerdijiz, xarijiz.

> > *afnimeins (fI/O) "removal, withdrawal, resettlement" (att. Go.
afniman)

> This applies to the recent proposal *-mitains too: I think these
> endings -eins, -ons, -ains are just used to create abstract nouns from
> weak verbs.  How about *afnumts, fi, by analogy with 'andanumts'
> "receiving, acceptance"?

Thanks for the correction.

> > *weisteigs (A) natural, according to nature or birth
>
> Or: *wisteigs, cf. wists "nature".

Typo! thanks.

> > riqizjan
>
> This is attested with an intransitive sense: sauil riqizeiþ jah mena
> ni gibiþ liuhaþ sein (Mk 13:24).

Ah yes. Why didn't [they] use *riqiznan here? Maybe *riqizjan can be
both tr. and intr.