Niuja Waurda

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Tue Apr 17 04:53:04 UTC 2007

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "thiudans" <thiudans at ...> wrote:

> *weina-skalks (mA) "cup-bearer, wine-servant". (but att. Go.
skagkja
> "server")

Where is skagkja attested?

> *wulands brunna "fountain" (but att. Go. brunna "well").

wulands brunna seems to me more to Icel. geysir.

> *fulla-ga-timrjan "restore, repair to fullness" (att. Go. ga-
timrjan)

aftra-gatimrjan?

> *arabja (mN) "Arab"

If borrowed from Greek/Latin (did Goths and Arabs meet personally?),
it should be Arabus M.-u (cf. Skwþus). Or maybe Arafs, gen. Arabis
M.-a? Cf. attested Arabia.

> *fauhs (mA) "fox"

Why not fauha M.-an for a male fox? Or maybe they just had it in
feminine (fauho) as a general word for this animal.

> *bilaiks (mI) "mock, fun, jest, despite, insult" (att. Go. laiks,
> bilaikan); for phrase *du bilaikja wairthan "be despised"

du fairweitla wairþan "idem"?

> *ga-brikeins (fI/O) violence

ana-mahteins (ana-mahtjan attested)?

> *weinahei (fN) drunkenness

Why not drugkanei?

> *fidurfots (A) four-footed (as noun: four-footed animal)

Probably fidurfotus (adj.) or fidurfotja (weak only) – cf. laus-
handus/handja.

> *mageis (mJA) "magus, wiseman"

If borrowed it should have been magus and inappropriately coincided
with the inherited magus for "boy". What could have been a pure-
Gothic word? Maybe something like *saiþa-manna or *saiþa-hameis
M.-ja or –hams M.-i (apart from ON seiðmaðr, there's a mention of
Saitchamimi/s/ dat. pl. in a continental votive inscription with
meaning "die durch Zauber ihre Gestalt ändern können"). No doubt
there must've been a rich terminology. Could one also form masculine
from haljaruna "maga mulier" (haliurunnae pl. in Jordanes)?

Ualarauans