Archaeological Word-List (Part of)

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Tue Apr 17 11:04:07 UTC 2007

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Michael Erwin <merwin at ...> wrote:

> Chernyakhov -
>
> I suggest either *Qernjahifs or *[90]ernjahifs as a
transliteration.
> *Q or *[90] to represent the initial Ch-. (Ualarauans made the same
> [90] suggestion here). H to represent the Kh. Russian and Ukrainian
> have no H; Gothic has no Kh. I to represent the Russian O or
> Ukrainian I.

Ukrainian -iv alternates with –ov- in oblique cases (Chorn'akhiv,
gen. Chorn'akhova) and this –ov- is etymologically primary here
corresponding to Russian –ov, Polish -ow (with an acute mark above
in nominative pronounced as [u]) and ultimately to Proto-Slavic
possessive ending –ovu. So I think the Gothic form should keep -of
in nominative. What of the vowel in the first syllable, it is short
(Slavic doesn't distinguish long and short vowels) also
etymologically (going back to Proto-Slavic chrnu with a vocalic [r]
meaning "black") and hence should be written with /aí/ (pronounced
[e]) in Gothic, all the more so that it stands before /r/ where
Gothic has the breaking /i/ > /aí/). If you hate using /x/ for [kh],
the best option in my opinion is to write /k/, not /h/. Whether the
whole word would get masculine ending –s is rather dubious. Compare
fogeign masculine names in the Bible: Iosef, dat. Iosefa and Ioseba
etc without –s. Finally, maybe we should re-organize the name
according to Gothic rules for compounds so that cairnja- would
become cairni- as the quasi first element, but I'm not sure here
– cf. hrainja-hairts.

What's your suggestion of representing koppa in writing? Why not to
use /c/? Cairjaxof:Cairnikof looks (to me) quite elegant.

We could go a step forward and think of a phonetic use of sampi
[900]. Maybe we could reserve it for [sh]? How is it to be
transliterated then?

> Artifact -
>
> How about *mana-waurstw then?

Yes, that's good. Do we have a word for "artificial"? It may be
mana-waurhts (after your suggestion) or attested handu-waurhts "hand-
made". Is there some important semantic difference which I fail to
see?

> Material Culture -
>
> *Kultura in aigina (or another word for goods and structures and
so on)?

> *Kultura in manawaurstwa?

I think we could start thinking of the opposition "material –
spiritual". The latter is attested as ahmeins and is usually
contrasted with leikeins "bodily" in the Bible. Correct me if I'm
wrong. Ahmeina kultura for "spiritual culture" seems OK, but
leikeins for "material"... I think we need smth another here.

> Settlement -
>
> use words for village, town, city, etc?

Saliþwa is attested in plural for settlements or rather shelters or
guest-houses, but it is formed from saljan "to inhabit". Sali-staþs
would suggest unattested sals M.-i for "settlement" combined with
staþs M.-i "place". It's interesting to know whether Cairnjaxobiskai
salistadeis (pl.) could be named baurgs "cities" in the true sense
of the word. Wasn't it "fortificated settlement" originally?

Ualarauans

P.S. And yes, Ukrainian does have [h] represented graphically by
what is Russian [g] (like Dutch /g/).