Niuja Waurda (skagkja)

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Tue Apr 17 13:23:07 UTC 2007

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "ualarauans" <ualarauans at ...> wrote:

> > skagkja
> > > "server")
> >
> > > Where is skagkja attested?
> >
> > As 'scancia' in the Visigothic laws.
>
> I didn't know that. Thank you for the answer. Incidentally, could
> you please direct me to a URL where these laws are to be read in
> Latin? Thanx.

Hopefully someone else knows of such a link.  All I've found so far in
an English translation [ http://libro.uca.edu/vcode/visigoths.htm ].
'Comes scanciarum' is the title of an official given in the Lex
Visigothorum.  Also one Egica is named as 'comes scanciarum et dux' in
the Council of Toledo records for 683, possibly identical to the king
Egica, who ruled 687-702 [
http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/VANDALS,%20SUEVI,%20VISIGOTHS.htm ].
The Gothic word may survive in Sp. escanciano, Port. escanção
"cup-bearer" (Elcock: The Romance Languages, p. 222), although
according to Elcock, "Gamillscheg and others" considered these to be
later loans from Old French eschnaz (acc. eschanson) > Modern French
échanson, from the Frankish cognate *skankjo.

LN