Testing

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Tue Apr 17 10:49:29 UTC 2007

Here, by way of experiment, is a little list that I made a while ago
after some earlier discussions we had here.  How do people feel about
the format?  The only change from standard Biblical Gothic orthography
is the use of 'ng', for the sake of clarity.  In defense of this,
don't forget that 'ng' does appear as a variant (along with 'gg') in
the manuscripts.  I'm happy to stick with the distinctive looking 'gk'
for /nk/.  I'm tempted to recommend diacritics ái aí, etc. -- for the
sake of clarity -- in the finished version.  It's easier to remove
information that to go through a whole dictionary afterwards adding it
if we change our minds!

I also suggest that, in arranging words alphabetically, we ignore the
prefix ga- both in nouns and verbs.  Sweet does this in his
Angli-Saxon Dictionary, which I find very convenient to use.  An
alternative would be to include ga- nouns under G, and ga- verbs under
the initial letter of their root.  Here I've listed everything else
alphabetically according to perefixes; an alternative to this would be
to do as Streitberg does, and Braune/Helm, and list verbs with
derivative prefixes under the initial letter of the root.  This is
convenient for looking up verbs, since sometimes prefixes are
interchangeable, but has the disadvantage of separating verbs from
derivative nouns -- but this might be got around with cross-referencing.

and-waibjan (sik), unwind, develop.
boka-leisei, fin.  literature.
faihu-fasteis, mja.  economist.
faihu-leisei, fin.  finance, economics.
fiþraks, ma.  wing.
gauma-wairþs, a.  noteworthy, interesting.
gleza-mahts, fi.  electrical power, electricity.
hugi-sahts, fi.  idea.
in-wageins, fi/o.  emotion.
qiu-sahts, fi.  film, movie.
stoma-stafs (b), mi.  chemical element.
tungla-fasteis, mja.  astronomer.
tungla-leisei, fin.  astronomy.
us-wageins, fi/o.  excitement.
ga-maini-hansa, fo.  collective.
rauks, mi.  smoke, steam, vapour.
ga-waurki-hansa, fo.  (business) company, corporation.
wehings, ma.  wing.
wisti-fasteis, mja.  physicist.
wisti-leisei, fin.  physics.
wisti-stafs (b), mi.  elementary particle.
wokra-hansa, fo.  banking company.

astronomer, n.  tungla-fasteis, mja.
astronomy, n.  tungla-leisei, fin.
banking company, n.  wokra-hansa, fo.
collective, n.  ga-maini-hansa, fo.
company, n.  (business) ga-waurki-hansa, fo.
corporation, n.  ga-waurki-hansa, fo.
develop, v.  (lit. unwind) and-waibjan (sik).
economics, n.  faihu-leisei, fin.
economist, n.  faihu-fasteis, mja.
electricity, n.  (electrical power) gleza-mahts, fi.
element, n.  (chemical) stoma-stafs (b), mi.
elementary particle, n.  wisti-stafs (b), mi.
emotion, n.  in-wageins, fi/o.
idea, n.  hugi-sahts, fi.
interesting, adj.  gauma-wairþs, spilla-wairþs, fair-weita-leiks, in
fair-weita bringands.
film, n.  qiu-sahts, fi.
literature, n.  boka-leisei, fin.
movie, n.  qiu-sahts, fi.
physicist, n.  wisti-fasteis, mja.
physics, n.  wisti-leisei, fin.
unwind, v.  (fig. develop) and-waibjan (sik).
vapour, n.  (smoke, steam, vapour) rauks, mi; (mist, vapour) nibuls, ma.
wing, n.  wehings, ma., fiþraks, ma.