Testing

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Tue Apr 17 13:41:26 UTC 2007

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "llama_nom" <600cell at ...> wrote:

> Here, by way of experiment, is a little list that I made a while
ago
> after some earlier discussions we had here.  How do people feel
about
> the format?  The only change from standard Biblical Gothic
orthography
> is the use of 'ng', for the sake of clarity.  In defense of this,
> don't forget that 'ng' does appear as a variant (along with 'gg')
in
> the manuscripts.  I'm happy to stick with the distinctive
looking 'gk'
> for /nk/.

The format seems OK, providing all necessary info except etymology
or "word history" (you told about this before). But I feel reluctant
towards –ng-.
If I remember right, cases where –gg- stands for a geminated [g] are
relatively few, so we could mark them somehow specially, i.e.
bliggwan (gg) or the like without spending too much space.
Using /ng/ would demand also /nk/ and /nq/ and who knows what more –
for the sake of consistency. Revisionism is dangerous!

> I also suggest that, in arranging words alphabetically, we ignore
the
> prefix ga- both in nouns and verbs.  Sweet does this in his
> Angli-Saxon Dictionary, which I find very convenient to use.  An
> alternative would be to include ga- nouns under G, and ga- verbs
under
> the initial letter of their root.  Here I've listed everything else
> alphabetically according to perefixes; an alternative to this
would be
> to do as Streitberg does, and Braune/Helm, and list verbs with
> derivative prefixes under the initial letter of the root.  This is
> convenient for looking up verbs, since sometimes prefixes are
> interchangeable, but has the disadvantage of separating verbs from
> derivative nouns -- but this might be got around with cross-
referencing.

The Streitberg/Braune system seems to me the best but this is
because I've got accustomed to it. It's worth asking what are the
most popular textbooks for studying Gothic and how they organize
words in their glossaries. Maybe we should arrange an on-line
questionnaire for list-members. The results would be interesting in
many other respects too I'm sure.

Below I'm trying to imagine what some of Llama's neologisms could
mean besides the stated meaning. Not that I am critical towards the
suggestions.

> boka-leisei, fin.  literature.

And why it's not "librarianship" or "Literaturwissenschaft"?

> faihu-fasteis, mja.  economist.
> faihu-leisei, fin.  finance, economics.

Aha, now I know how you form nomina agentis! But, remembering our
old discussion where you were defending "cattle" meaning of faihu,
aren't the suggested words supposed to mean also "farmer"
and "cattle-breeding science" respectfully?

> gleza-mahts, fi.  electrical power, electricity.

"amber power"? (power to bribe Roman officials by presenting them
amber jewelry) And what is "electrical"?

> hugi-sahts, fi.  idea.
> qiu-sahts, fi.  film, movie.

What is this –sahts intended to mean?

> stoma-stafs (b), mi.  chemical element.

"element of foundation". A nice word for a construction pile :-)

> tungla-fasteis, mja.  astronomer.
> tungla-leisei, fin.  astronomy.

And what's about "astrology"?

Ualarauans (inmerito ordinatus aduocatus diaboli)