Drus Griutinge - swesa namna

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Wed Apr 18 04:53:33 UTC 2007

Well, I think that finally we've got a (master-!)piece of true
Gothic poetry whatever Elfriede Stutz may have stated. Where in the
dark cellars of antiquarian bibliothecae did Llama find the last
surviving manuscript of an unknown Ostrogothic Homer? Or were they
communicating in sleep? Or maybe we should believe in reincarnation?
Whatever the truth, the poem is great, "both in quantitative and
qualitative aspect" as someone used to say :-). Let me start with
proper names only, I've got some questions to the liuþareis.

Aistjus "Ests" – has this clan name something to do with Aestii of
Tacitus and Jordanes? In which case it could be an –i-stem, *Aisteis
pl.?

What's the meaning of Idumiggos?

Iþ galgin ridun / Gunþirunos "But upon the gallows rode Godrun's"
– I guess there's some ON or OE or maybe Gothic metaphor behind it?
Could you please tell us? Gunþiruna – *walakuzjo?

Ana Danaprais staþam (et passim) "on the banks of the Dniepr" – it's
after ON Danparstaðir, isn't it? *Danaprs as I can gather is thought
to be an –i-stem fem. Jordanes used Danaper masc. and one time
Danaprum neutr. (Get. 30: magnumque illud Danaprum Taurumque
montem..., if illud is not a typo for illum acc. masc. here). The
formation is probably the same as in Danaster /-trum. In ON a re-
distribution (Neuverteilung) of morphemes took place and the final
–r- of the stem became a flective ending, hence Danpr, gen. Danpar.
Cf. also later Slavic forms: ORuss. DnEpru > Russ. Dnepr, Ukr.
Dnipro  - all masc. All this leads me to think that Gothic had a
form like *Danaprus M.-u or *Danaprs M.-a/-i, in which case gen.
would be *Danapraus or *Danapris. BTW., are you sure that it was
staþa "banks", not stadeis "places" (as in ON). Ana Danapraus
stadim? Or better as a compound *Danaprustadeis/-staþa?

Augeis kunjis "of Augis's kin"; Imrikins banins "of Imrika's
slayer" – what are these names? Are they attested (and what do they
mean)?

þairh Mairqiwidu "through the Dark Forest" – aha, here is Gothic
Myrkviðr finally! So you think that was originally a forest between
Goths and Huns (like in Hlöðskviða)? I heard a lot of theories about
its supposed historical location. One of them is that it =
Herodote's hYLAIH "forested region" between Dnieper and Don.

faur Salwo swumfsl "by the Murky Lake" – and is there a proto-type
of this?

Hraide "of the Hred-Goths" – I guess you have an example of such a
usage in ON or OE?

und Hailago hlaiw, / þarei und hita standiþ "unto the Holy Howe,
there where it stands to this day" <= (Hlöðskviða 10) gröf þá ina
helgu, / er stendr á Goðþjóðu, right?

Uldinis ... arbjans "Uldin's heirs" – I guess it's the same Uldin
who was mentioned as a leader of the Danube Huns about 400 CE. Could
the Huns of the Invasion time (375 CE) be called "Uldin's heirs"?

Balþs Balambairis "Bold Balamber". Jordanes' Balamber which also
reads in codices as Balamir and Balamur has been often thought to be
a distortion of Gothic Walamers (through Greek intermediation, cf.
BALAMEROS in Priscus 28 – a "Scythic" name). Maybe there was a
Hunnish name later Gothicized (like in the case of Attila, Rugila
etc)? I'd use *Balamers, if not Walamers. Keeping the rhyme, Balþs
Balamers...

Alisins geza "Alisa's stronghold" – again a name which I
can't "decipher".

Humlins magiwe "of Humla's boys" – maybe Humila is better for ON
Humli? Or that would yield *Hymli?

Unwen – Jordanes Hunuil? I heard there was an OE parallel name,
right?

ibnan / Airpamarhin "Erpamarha's equal". In the text (Get. 43) it
stands as Eterpamara. What is this Et-, if we accept your
reconstruction? Are there other examples where marha is attested as
a weak noun in Germanic names?

Ualarauans (with admiration)