New file uploaded to gothic-l

llama_nom 600cell at OE.ECLIPSE.CO.UK
Fri Apr 27 20:40:14 UTC 2007

> > "forest, wood skohs, ma (g)" – you mean skohs, gen. skogis? Afaik
> > there're no examples of such a change.
>
> I furthermore don't see that Grimm's idea is correct, at least as far as
> Orel can determine from his idea of common Germanic. *skoh- should give
> use something to do with shoes. However Orel does have a Pgmc. *skagon
> (sb.m.) "small wood, copse, thicket; low cape, ness" (the meanings are
> from different daughter languages. Thus he puts the ON forest-terms from
> this same root, while both are attest in Danish as "skog" and "Skagen"
> for instance, and probaby Skagerrak and who knows what else. There also
> seems to be a related root *skag(j)an (sb.n.) "beard, head-hair". If we
> postulate a separate root for Go. skohsl as PGmc. *skog- or *skoh-
> (themselves alternating in in the shoe-terms) with sense "wood, forest",
> can we relate "forest" - "wood" - "(wooden) shoe" ?

Under 'shaw', the OED has:

OE. sc(e)aga wk. masc., corresp. to NFris. skage farthest edge of
cultivated land (Outzen), ON. skage wk. masc., promontory (cf. sense 3
below), skaga to project; related to OE. sceacga SHAG n.1, and (by
ablaut) to ON. skóg-r wood, SCOGH.]

1. A thicket, a small wood, copse or grove.
2. spec. A strip of wood or underwood forming the border of a field.
3. (See quot.)
1813 J. HOGG Queen's Wake Notes 353 Shaw...likewise...denotes the
snout, or brow of a hill; but the part so denominated is always
understood to be...broad at the base, and contracted to a point above.

Shag 1.

OE. sceacga wk. masc.:--prehistoric *skaggon-, cogn. w. ON. skegg
neut., beard (:--*skagjo-m), OE. sceaga wk. masc., coppice, SHAW
(formally = ON. skage wk. masc., promontory:--*skagon-), ON. skaga to
project; the ON. skóg-r, a wood, shows a different ablaut-grade of the
root. Cf. OHG. scahho wk. masc., promontory (:--*skakon-), which may
be more distantly related.

1. a. Rough matted hair, wool, etc. rare or arch.
     b. A mass of matted hair; also shreds (of bark).
       c. The nap (esp. long and coarse) of cloth.
        d. transf. Applied to thick down on plants.
         e. A (tangled) mass of shrubs, trees, foliage, etc.
          f. fig. Roughness, brutality of manner.

+ other senses in Modern English deriving from these (type of cloth,
carpet, tobacco).

A connection between hair and vegetation has also been suggested in
explanations of the Old Norse god's name Lóðurr (=Loki?) and the name
Loðbrók (nickname of a legendary hero, Ragnarr loðbrók "shaggy
trousers"), but perhaps originally the name of a goddess (see Rory
McTurk: Studies in Ragnars saga loðbrókar and its Major Scandinavian
Analogues) -- cf. Go. liudan, laudi.  So, not a lot of eveidence, but
maybe also nothing that actually contradicts Grimm's suggestion that
Go. skohls is a "thing of the woods" (or just a shaggy creature?),
derived from Go. *skohs (g), ma. = ON skógr.  This supposes that skog-
+ neuter suffix -sl- > skohsl -- cf. swum(f)sl -- with regular
devoicing of /g/ before /s/.

Under 'shoe', the OED has:

"Com. Teut.: OE. scóh masc. = OFris. scô (NFris. skog, skuch, WFris.
skoech), OS. scôh (MLG. scô, LG. schô), MDu. scoe (mod.Du. schoen),
OHG. scuoh, scuah (MHG. schuoch, schuo, mod.G. schuh), ON. skó-r (Sw.,
Da. sko), Goth. skoh-s:--OTeut. *sko:ho-z or sko:hwo-z.

"Some scholars refer the word to the root *sko:hw-: *skæ:w- to walk
(Goth. skewjan to take a walk, ON. skæva to stride). Others, on
account of the alternation of vowel in ON. skór pl. skúar, assume a
pre-Teut. *sko:uko-s, f. *skeu- to cover."

Or, I wonder if there's any possibility it's related to these words
for forest or hair, if shoes were made (partly) of wood, bark or hide?

LN