New file uploaded to gothic-l

thiudans thiudans at YAHOO.COM
Fri Apr 27 05:27:19 UTC 2007

Thanks for your sharp eye. I will make most of these changes now and
wait till LN responds for the rest. We should probably upload new lists
every week or two weeks at a maximum frequency...once the current list
has been sorted out!

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "ualarauans" <ualarauans at ...> wrote:

> "African Afar, mr. cf. Lat. Afer" – the r-declension is a closed
> class in Germanic including five nouns: Go. fadar, *modar, broþar,
> swistar, dauhtar. I haven't heard of examples that new words could
> enter it. Taking into consideration Latin oblique cases Afri, Afro,
> Afrum etc, maybe it would be better to construct Go. *Afrs, ma./mi.,
> *Afriland, afrisks, a.? Or, to Gothicize Lat. Africa, maybe *Afreiki
> or Afareiki (or even Afar-reiki or Aba-reiki), nia., Af(a)reikja,
> man., af(a)reikisks, a.?
>
> "Antjos, mja.pl." – probably also an i-stem, Anteis?
>
> "birch tree bairka, fo.; bairkja, mn." – to avoid complications
with
> the ending, maybe bairkabagms (like smakka-bagms, alewa-bagms)?

Orel attests PGmc. *berkjon (sb.n./f.) from an earlier *berko (sb.f.). I
think -bagms was a later way to make designations of tree kinds. Birch
would be a very familiar tree and of ancient use among Germanic tribes.
I would support:
Go. *bairkjo (fn. or nn.) or  *bairka (fo.) "birch (tree)"; Go.
*bairkeins "of birch"; *qêdwa (fo.) "birch sap", *nêbrs (fi.)
"birch bark"

> "forest, wood skohs, ma (g)" – you mean skohs, gen. skogis? Afaik
> there're no examples of such a change.

I furthermore don't see that Grimm's idea is correct, at least as far as
Orel can determine from his idea of common Germanic. *skoh- should give
use something to do with shoes. However Orel does have a Pgmc. *skagon
(sb.m.) "small wood, copse, thicket; low cape, ness" (the meanings are
from different daughter languages. Thus he puts the ON forest-terms from
this same root, while both are attest in Danish as "skog" and "Skagen"
for instance, and probaby Skagerrak and who knows what else. There also
seems to be a related root *skag(j)an (sb.n.) "beard, head-hair". If we
postulate a separate root for Go. skohsl as PGmc. *skog- or *skoh-
(themselves alternating in in the shoe-terms) with sense "wood, forest",
can we relate "forest" - "wood" - "(wooden) shoe" ?

> "grammar maþla-kunþi, fjo." – marketology?

maþli-kunþi, fjo.  would be study of public discourse or speaking
at an assembly. I think Grammar properly would be "mel" or perhaps
"meli-kunþi" though it implies "writing" it means now "the proper
setting of grammatical cases" inter alia. Syntax would be the proper
setting of words, *waurda-tewa or so?

> "Regensburg Rignisbaurgs" – the name comes from Lat. Regina
castra.
> Go. Raginabaurgs or Raginisbaurgs?

Why not *Regina- or *Regeina-baurgs?

> "Romania Romanja; Romanian Rumanisks" – Would you explain this o/u
> fluctuation?

I attempted to correct all o's to 'u's where the string "róm"
occurred, but missed one. I think o is properly transliterating
"Romania" instead of relating it back to Rome (Go. Ruma-) so maybe it
should be "róm"?

> "Slav, Russian Winida; Slavic, Russian Winidisks" – it seems like
> commonly accepted that the Gothic name of Jordanes' Venethi sounded
> *Winiþos. Hence winiþisks, a. OHG Winida pl. confirms that.
> For "Russian" we'd need another word. Maybe, we could use Roþ(i)s-,
> based on the known PN forms *Rôþez for Swedish Roslagen? For
> instance, Roþsa-manna, Roþsa-land, roþsisks?

Maybe. Maybe Roþs (ma) Roþsis. Or (austa-)Sklabens (ma.)

> "United States Bandareikja" – What is banda- in Gothic? Maybe
> Gabundana Reikja?

This is probably Go. bandi "bond, fetter" vinculum, desmos, like also
Go. bundi, which seems though closer to Go. bindan. There is also Go.
gabinda "band, ligament, ligature" Binde and *gabindi "id.". I would
hesitate to call anything a "reiki" which is not ruled by a "reiks".
Perhaps Gabindi-landa (na.pl.) or -gawja (nja.pl.). "United" is closer
to Go. *gawidans (a) or maybe *ga-ainiþs (a). How about *Amalareiki?
;-)

> "waira-alds" – wairalds? Do we need a constructed word for "world"
> having fairhvus and midjungards attested?

No, just including Grimm's ideas for discussion.

> "world-sea hrigga-marei" – Another good option is *Wandilmarei or
> *Wandilsaiws after OE Wendelsæ, OHG Wentilseo, MHG Wendelmer.
> Originally it was probably Mediterranean. Should we keep this
> meaning?
>
> Ualarauans

Good ideas!

Thanks.