New file uploaded to gothic-l

ualarauans ualarauans at YAHOO.COM
Fri Apr 27 02:39:44 UTC 2007

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, gothic-l at yahoogroups.com wrote:

> Hello,

> a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the gothic-l
> group.
>
>   File        : /go-niujawaurda_20070426.pdf
>   Uploaded by : thiudans <thiudans at ...>
>   Description : Gothic Neologisms - 26 April 2007 - "Long List"
>
> You can access this file at the URL:
niujawaurda_20070426.pdf

Hails,

Some remarks.

"African Afar, mr. cf. Lat. Afer" – the r-declension is a closed
class in Germanic including five nouns: Go. fadar, *modar, broþar,
swistar, dauhtar. I haven't heard of examples that new words could
enter it. Taking into consideration Latin oblique cases Afri, Afro,
Afrum etc, maybe it would be better to construct Go. *Afrs, ma./mi.,
*Afriland, afrisks, a.? Or, to Gothicize Lat. Africa, maybe *Afreiki
or Afareiki (or even Afar-reiki or Aba-reiki), nia., Af(a)reikja,
man., af(a)reikisks, a.?

"Antjos, mja.pl." – probably also an i-stem, Anteis?

"birch tree bairka, fo.; bairkja, mn." – to avoid complications with
the ending, maybe bairkabagms (like smakka-bagms, alewa-bagms)?

"Bretagne – Britanja, fo." – Araimaurika, fo.?

"briggwan, 1." – could it become III. (after bliggwan)?

"butterfly ..." – feifaldro, too?

"Carl, Karl... Kairls, ma." – Karls and Karals as variants?

"Christmas Weiha-nahts, fc." – also Weiha-nahti, nia, pl. Weiha-
nahtja?

"colony nijua-landi" – niuja-?

"Constantinople – Kustanteina-gards" – Kustanteinu-?

"Estonian – Aista, mn." – Aists, mi., hence Aistiland (cf. Est.
Eesti)?

"Faeroe Islands – Fairauja, pl." - -aujos, fjo. pl.?

"Finn Finna, mn." – Finns, ma. (cf. ON Finnr, Fiðr)?

"forest, wood skohs, ma (g)" – you mean skohs, gen. skogis? Afaik
there're no examples of such a change.

"Germanic (G. Germanisch) Þiuda-landisks, a." – this seems to
pertain to Þiuda-land. If not gairmanisks, how about Þiuda-kuns
(-i-) or Þiuda-kunds, along with Ruma-kun(d)s "Romance",
Walha-kun(d)s "Celtic", Winiþa-kun(d)s "Slavic" etc.?

"god Surtur Swartus" – why an u-stem? Maybe Swarta, man. (cf. ON
Surta logi "flame of Surtr", which implies *Surti).

"grammar maþla-kunþi, fjo." – marketology?

"Hungarian Uggar, m.irr." – Uggrs, ma./mi. (see above)?

"kiss kukei, fn." – maybe kuks, ma./mi.?

"-meljains" - -meleins!

And let's delete bi-lageins as it is not a neologism.

"azgo-lauga" – azga-lauga?

"Regensburg Rignisbaurgs" – the name comes from Lat. Regina castra.
Go. Raginabaurgs or Raginisbaurgs?

"Romania Romanja; Romanian Rumanisks" – Would you explain this o/u
fluctuation?

"Sankt-Petersburg Petraus-baurgs or Paitraus-baurgs" – Why the
Petraus-? Sagkt(a)-Paitraus-baurgs or simply Paitru-baurgs (Russians
say Peterburg, without –s-)? Weihastainabaurgs is a Hafroniska-style
translation :-)

"Slav, Russian Winida; Slavic, Russian Winidisks" – it seems like
commonly accepted that the Gothic name of Jordanes' Venethi sounded
*Winiþos. Hence winiþisks, a. OHG Winida pl. confirms that.
For "Russian" we'd need another word. Maybe, we could use Roþ(i)s-,
based on the known PN forms *Rôþez for Swedish Roslagen? For
instance, Roþsa-manna, Roþsa-land, roþsisks?

"Suabian Sweba, mn." – Swefs, ma. or mi.?

"Svealand Swea-land; Sweden Swea-þiuda" etc – Swaía- or Swija-.

"United States Bandareikja" – What is banda- in Gothic? Maybe
Gabundana Reikja?

"Venice (G. Wenedig) Winideiga" – German spelling is Venedig, but
the Goths didn't know it. All they knew was the Latin name Venetia.
Wainait(s)ja, fo.? Or Winitjo, fn.?

"ahvo-drus" – ahva-drus.

"waira-alds" – wairalds? Do we need a constructed word for "world"
having fairhvus and midjungards attested?

"world-sea hrigga-marei" – Another good option is *Wandilmarei or
*Wandilsaiws after OE Wendelsæ, OHG Wentilseo, MHG Wendelmer.
Originally it was probably Mediterranean. Should we keep this
meaning?

Ualarauans